2 Replies - 1606 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

BYOD : opinions & experiences

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

As it was brought up in this topic, it seems a few of us at least have had experiences of expectations from the company, or vise-versa.

So to not take over the tpoic, lets move it here. What are your experiences with being on call & provided equipment?

I don't think there should ever be unvoiced expectations. If you want the company to provide laptop, cell phone, or internet for work related duties, then it should be brough up during the interview. I think if you silently expect something, you just hope for the best & really don't have any room for complaints. You get what you agree to.

I've worked at some places that provide the phone, the laptop, & to some extent even pay for internet. I've also worked for some that expect me to just be available. It comes down to negotiations during the hiring process.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: BYOD : opinions & experiences

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: BYOD : opinions & experiences

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

My current gig doesn't really have much in the way of after hours support, but my previous job would pay twenty or twenty five bucks reimbursement for your internet (there was an absurd amount of after hours VPN action going on). Phone wise - no, they didn't provide any of us low folk a phone. Since I don't believe in smart phones it became comical some of the late night calls I would get while out of the house.. then there was the time the offshore indian consultants weaseled my phone number from someone and decided to pester me at the tail end of a few bar nights.

Personally - if I am in an interview that is one of those "do you have questions for us" questions. What sort of after hours support is expected? Is there a schedule? Is there equipment needed? Etc.

I agree - working out these sorts of expectations is important to do before you start signing paperwork.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: BYOD : opinions & experiences

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

currently I write mine off for taxes because for some reason the entire office gets reimbursed except for me.

my new job I believe they do not offer tech support after hours since it is a government job and thus I will not need any of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1