13 Replies - 5049 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to Structure Portfolio

Post icon  Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

So I am trying to get a full time position at my internship and are asking for a possible portfolio or past/current work. I have experience in front-end web development, java development, database systems, etc.. I am wondering how I should present my past / current work. I am not entirely sure on how I should structure a portfolio or how to present it.

Any suggestions?

Also I wasn't really sure what section to put this in so I decided to try here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: How to Structure Portfolio

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How to Structure Portfolio

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

Build a personal website with your projects hosted or downloadable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

What if there are things I've worked on under a NDA (non-disclosure agreement)? Although the items from my internship I am basically just showing to them anyway since I am trying to get a full time position there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostParrish, on 21 April 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

What if there are things I've worked on under a NDA (non-disclosure agreement)? Although the items from my internship I am basically just showing to them anyway since I am trying to get a full time position there.

You could create a password-locked section of the site, a "possible employers" section, though I think NDAs permit you from showing to an employer us well, but I'm not sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

I think the nice part in my situation is that the company I am interviewing with is the one I've been interning with for about a year now.

If creating a site might be iffy because of NDA, would a collection of work in a folder on my desktop be enough, including some screen shots? or should I make a presentation on it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostParrish, on 21 April 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

I think the nice part in my situation is that the company I am interviewing with is the one I've been interning with for about a year now.

If creating a site might be iffy because of NDA, would a collection of work in a folder on my desktop be enough, including some screen shots? or should I make a presentation on it?

It you've been interning with them,why not show them the projects you've worked on for them in your intern role? A presentation could be good if given the opportunity, but a .zip of your projects and some readme files describing them could also suffice (make sure they are working copies of the code and can be ran).

Make a website, have your information and stuff,make it look good. Use that as your presentation. Talk about what you can. Offer a download of that same .zip file with a password and supply the password to the employer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Almost everything I've done is under a NDA so it's hard to show past work to employers. So I set up a GIT repository and put stuff I do on my own there. I point employers at it if they request samples of my work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

I am thinking about password protecting a site for stuff I have done at my internship, so they (internship employer) can view things I have done/ things I feel that I should showcase for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

I am probably way off base here as I have never had to prove what work I have done in a company I was still working for. I would give a list of projects I had a part in and what department it was for, who the project manager was, ext.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 21 April 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

I am probably way off base here as I have never had to prove what work I have done in a company I was still working for. I would give a list of projects I had a part in and what department it was for, who the project manager was, ext.

It's not really proving that I have done the work, I think more just showing off that (hopefully) they still need me, as well as showing other work I've done through school. Basically they want to treat it like any other applicant coming into the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

I had skipped over that entirely. You may (or may not) that the interview is just just something that HR requires they go through the motions for as well. You could possibly use a list of what you have completed for the company and then have your personal projects and other work in your portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 22 April 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

I had skipped over that entirely. You may (or may not) that the interview is just just something that HR requires they go through the motions for as well. You could possibly use a list of what you have completed for the company and then have your personal projects and other work in your portfolio.

Yeah its a fairly small company, so I think that is the idea that they are trying to get across to me. I am definitely going to show them what I think my best work is through my internship (place I am trying to get fulltime) as well as some class projects that I have worked hard on, especially team oriented stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Not all NDAs are created equally. For the most of them, the ones that are scraped as templates from the internet with a <fill the blanks> theme to them will allow you to do exactly what I've done in the past.

Simply create a list of your projects, but don't name any specifics. That is, you can describe the project at a high level, what technologies you used, what challenges you may have faced etc whilst developing them it and how you overcame it, but without giving actual specifics of the project out to the prospective employer. Showing that you've worked under NDA typically means that you've attracted higher value clients (as the lower value ones don't care) which can add some credence to your CV / Portfolio.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

So I actually had my interview today, and since I have already worked there for a year, they were okay with me throwing it inside of cloud storage to show them that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1