8 Replies - 1115 Views - Last Post: 19 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on Learning Web Development

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

To begin with I am a high school student that is interested in learning more about programming. I have chosen to pursue web development, as it is apparently universal and a skill that will come in handy. Anyways, I was hopping to receive guidance on the best course of action in learning web dev for my circumstances ( which I believe many other high school students can relate to). I have a limited experience with C++ (the course only covered simple programs and was all text in a terminal type programs) and I have taken AP Computer Science A (for those who are not familiar with this course, it basically uses the Java language to introduce different concepts such as objects, polymorphism, methods, rucursive methods, and more). I am by no means a complete beginner to programming, and therefore I believe that it will be relatively easy to pick up the new syntax of web dev languages such as HTML, CSS, and Java script. I would appreciate advice on how to efficiently learn these languages without learning all the bare basics of the language such as the concept of variables and parameters for a method. Are there any courses (preferably videos) that I can learn from? What languages should I learn in dept? Roughly how long should I spend learning each language? I plan to learn the web dev languages (HTML, CSS, and Java script) and then move on to HTML5 to make something along the lines of a chat program or maybe a pong game.

Thanks, I know I am being very specific, but I hope that someone with experience can help guide me, because I am completely overwhelmed by web dev and all the combination of languages in web dev.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on Learning Web Development

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on Learning Web Development

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Start learning html5 along with CSS3. That should take a minimum amount of time to learn and a while to master the intricacies. Then, move on to Javascript or a server side language such as php, or node.js. the advantage of node is it is Javascript just for the server. Disadvantage, it is not widely available.

Or if you prefer Windows technology, go with asp and either vb.net or c# . If you have learned java c# is very similar.

As far as how long it will take to learn that depends on you.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 17 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Good luck! I'll be a freshman next year (high school) and it hasn't taken me long to get a firm grasp of HTML5, CSS3, and PHP. Now javascript...that language hasn't come easy to me but that's just because I am so accustomed to PHP and it's simplicity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

An alternative to Javascript is jQuery. You have to still have to have an understanding of how Javascript works, but I find writing jQuery code easier and faster than using straight Javascript.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 18 May 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

An alternative to Javascript is jQuery.

jQuery is an alternative to Java­Script as much as Zend is an alternative to PHP.

View Postastonecipher, on 18 May 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

but I find writing jQuery code easier and faster than using straight Javascript.

what’s preventing you from writing straight Java­Script in jQuery style then?

personally, I find jQuery great when it comes to DOM/HTML interaction, but for business logic (in my experience) I have to jump hoops in using jQuery*.

* - simple example:
// JS
this.value += "some data";

// jQuery
$(this).val($(this).val() + "some data");

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

jQuery is an alternative to Java­Script as much as Zend is an alternative to PHP.

I disagree. You can learn jQuery without knowing Javascript syntax. You would be lost in Zend without knowing how Php works.

The code snippet I completely agree with and do that myself. My main usage of jQuery is for Ajax, animation, and the like. Writing in shorthand when available makes more sense to me, when it is still readable.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 17 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 18 May 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

I disagree. You can learn jQuery without knowing Javascript syntax.

sorry, but no. everything you learned in jQuery can be applied directly in Java­Script. that jQuery uses methods where in plain JS you’re having primitive properties doesn’t change that fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 18 May 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

You can learn jQuery without knowing Javascript syntax.

this is why people have so many problems, because they don't learn the basics of Javascript first, before using jQuery.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

If you learn jQuery without knowing Javascript you write crappy jQuery. And don't expect to find good code samples to teach you jQuery good practices, because in the jQuery documentation the snippets are dumbed down to help you understand the feature, and most people who write tutorials about jQuery don't know Javascript either and write rubbish things as well. For more information about the consequences of jQuery usage on the web developers community, you can watch this alarming documentary

I agree with the idea that jQuery can be counter-productive depending on what you do. I do a lot of dynamic DOM animations, canvas animations, data management... and I have no use for jQuery, it would do nothing but obfuscate everything.

I've noticed that the only thing jQuery was good for, in my daily routine, was delegating events and selecting / looping through collections of HTML elements. So I've quickly come to the conclusion I should write few custom functions that would do no more than that, and from that time I've never felt the need to use a general-purpose Javascript library.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1