1 Replies - 2427 Views - Last Post: 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

NAT traversal and Hole Punching

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

I've done some reading on this forum and other places and it seems the best way to setup a peer-to-peer connection (where both peers may or may not be behind a router that implements some form of network-address translation) is to have a "server" process running on some device with a public IP address that handles all the data passed between the two hosts (hole punching).

The question is: does anyone know of any free server-space (with a direct connection to the internet) that can be used to run the server process?

I've tried www.koding.com, which offers free VMs to anybody with an email address, but I think there's some kind of NAT going on there because the IP address I get from ifconfig doesn't line up with the IP address I have to ping to talk to my vm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NAT traversal and Hole Punching

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: NAT traversal and Hole Punching

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

If anyone else has a similar problem, I found that the easiest way to give my server access to the internet was to configure port forwarding on my home router. It turned out to be easier than I originally thought (literally took me 5 minutes), so that's probably the way to go if you have admin privileges on your router.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1