3 Replies - 1888 Views - Last Post: 09 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Career routes

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hi everyone!

I'd like to move careers into programming, currently I'm just an office admin. I do have an engineering degree which I hope helps a little, plus I've had some (very) limited exposure of C, HTML, and FORTRAN 90.

I am really bad at design / layout work so web design is out. Design of a program though, flow charts etc I think I'd like, I did a little of that learning about PLC at uni.

I was thinking perhaps Java (to learn OO) and SQL (for databases)?

I've seen the Khan Academy Javascript tutorial, but I'm not sure it would be the best place to start?

Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career routes

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Career routes

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Ok a few things...

1) Javascript is related to web design for the most part (not always but generally it is)
2) SQL will be a must because it is the language of databases and at some point or another you will be interacting with one.
3) Java is a great language to start with but look at several languages and just go with the one that feels right to you. Try a .NET language like C# or VB.NET or maybe a language like Python or Ruby. All are great languages to learn from.

I would suggest you go to the bookstore and take a look at several books. Read into them a little right at the store and if you find them easy to understand and learn, then buy the book. Then join a forum, like you have here, to ask any questions and help you get past problems and read tutorials online. Multiple different sources will certainly help you augment your learning.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

C# Learning Series, right here on DIC

Everything from question 43 to the end is about becoming a coder, picking a language, employment as a developer and so on.

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 6: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Feb 2014
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hello guys I am going to thread jack a little bit. Right now I am in a Masters Program for Software Engineering. My problem is trying to find a job out of school, because I have no real world experience. Right now all I have is a fundamental understanding of C++ and Java which can still use some work. Some of the advice I have been given is that most companies get rid of Coders around 35 and early to mid forties for younger and cheaper coders. Just based on an article I saw which right now I can't remember and some talking with someone who is in I.T. The other route for me is to go Information Security which is probably on the same level as me being a coder, I have done some work with my current job. Yet that is still not enough, because I work for a Pharmacy where I just assisted, came up with an idea for a system (designed it I guess you can say that). I am starting to get the basics from this and I mess with the network at my home. I am actually trying to switch fields, because the field of study I did for undergrad was kind of a dead end for me. So I am looking for advice on which side would yield higher chances and what advice could you give me to help get to the point where I am competitive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1