3 Replies - 1717 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2014 - 12:54 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for good book that teaches Java with Eclipse

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hi all,

I'm Evert and I want to teach myself Java. Should be possible, since I have plenty of experience in other programming languages.

Since I want to use Eclipse for development, I'm looking for a book that explains both Java and Eclipse. The emphasis should be on Java teaching, and I'd like the book to teach GUI development as well.

Until now I've only found books that either teach Java (plain or with a development environment that's different from Eclipse) or that extensively treat Eclipse (but don't teach Java, at least not for beginners).

Who can recommend me a good book?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for good book that teaches Java with Eclipse

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for good book that teaches Java with Eclipse

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Good luck finding one. An author will seriously limit their potential reader base if they side with a particular IDE. If you are learning Java, then don't use an IDE, it will get in the way of you learning, you will spend more time figuring out the IDE instead of learning the language.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that this insistence on using Eclipse is somehow related to Notch/Minecraft...

This post has been edited by mike73: 24 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Head first java 2e is online, about 4th or 5th search term when you google Head First Java. It was posted up by some university. That is an excellent starter book -- literally made for anyone.

No book I've seen (I've seen a lot) that's any good particularly treats eclipse, but uhhh....eclipse isn't hard to use in the first place man. If you've got any burning questions not answered by their documentation just go ahead and contact the developers. They get back to e-mails pretty fast; all the correspondence I've had with them has been really cool and stimulating (they even schooled me on how to do some assignments in my uni java class!). But yeah I mean, file>new>java project and then file>new>class is about all you need to know to code in that IDE. For the record, I use eclipse for everything java. Not that I need it -- but it makes everything like class heirarchies and project/package folder creation just automatic.

All this to say, learning Java itself is going to be WAY more of a process than learning eclipse. Researchers have literally taught monkeys to do more complex things than operating the eclipse IDE. Again, project creation and class creation is about all you need, simplistically speaking.

That being said, automatic getters, setters, and constructors are....well, I'll let you figure that out for yourself. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:54 AM

Thanks all! I've started learning Java using Notepad++ :-) .

I will be using Eclipse in some time, though. The reason is that I want to do Android programming.

Does anyone know of a good and recept Eclipse book? I've got a book by Daum (Professional Eclipse for Java developers), but the most recent edition is almost 10 years old...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1