3 Replies - 750 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2014 - 06:06 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on reading a file into a byte array

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hi all,

I'm very new to programming and have decided to learn C# so at the moment looking at oodles of code is quite confusing :)

What I want to achieve may well be to much for a beginner or maybe a walk in the park to some here...

I basically want to create a save editor application that will enable people to alter various values in the save by clicking on releveant buttons and then also for the editor to auto update the checksum when changes are done.

The save file is in hex so from what I can gather I would need to create a button to open the file using 'open file dialogue' and then read the file into a byte array so that the values can be called at any time when a particular butto is pressed and the application will then seek to the point in the file to make the required changes.

So I have the theory but I am struggling to get started.... can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on reading a file into a byte array

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on reading a file into a byte array

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

C# Learning Series, right here on DIC
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

And as a quick aside, we won't help you write game cheats. I highly recommend learning how to program and learning C#, but unfortunately we won't help you directly with your game cheat. You can potentially work on other projects that would have concepts that also apply in your save editor, but please don't ask for help about the editor directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

Is that what the OP is talking about when he says "Save editor" and "in the save" ? I thought English just wasn't his native language. "In the save" just sounded like a foreign speaker doing a bad translation to me.

With that bit of added context I think I understand some of the other bits he was talking about now. So the buttons to jump to areas would be that he has figured out that the 440th byte is the number of remaining lives, so a button to alter that and so on.

Ahh... Now his gibberish starts to make sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1