13 Replies - 1173 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Using cmd to install SW in 260 computers

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Goal: Silently and comfortably install a software (and copy a license file to a specific folder) in 260 computers remotely, through a single batch file, preferably.

Problem:
Having 260 computers receive and automatically run the batch file without any problems.

Current progress: Can install the software and copy the license file in the computer I'm working on through the batch file, as long as I run it as Admin and as long as I fully specify the paths.

Code:

start /WAIT C:\Users\Cris\Desktop\Install\Files\SAP2000v1602EvalSetup.exe /s /v" /qn"

copy C:\Users\Cris\Desktop\Install\Files\lservrc "C:\Program Files(x86)\Computers and Structures\SAP2000 16 Eval" /y

pause

This post has been edited by AuRuMuS: 26 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using cmd to install SW in 260 computers

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using cmd to install SW in 260 computers

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

You want to install SAP2000 16 eval on 260 computers, and use the same licensing key for all 260 versions? So this isn't quite a legit process?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

It's a trial license of 1 year. This process is completely allowed and overseen (and requested in fact) by the company's CEO at the Portuguese HQ.

So no It's not immoral. We're just trying to provide with a comfortable way to install all these. They are meant to be used in an university.

Also I'm not quite sure but I believe Its a network license. So it works for several machines, not too sure how it works tbh but if It's the objective it must work.

This post has been edited by AuRuMuS: 26 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Then I would suggest using Active Directory for this.

Example: http://blogs.technet...membership.aspx

Rersus trying to kludge some sort of batch file that will run head long into, I would hope, security measures to prevent malicious apps from doing the same thing.

Also I'm not quite sure but I believe Its a network license. So it works for several machines, not too sure how it works tbh but if It's the objective it must work.

I would double check to make sure the license covers the entire 260 seats. I would avoid having SAP come down on your head for violations of licensing agreements.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Aah, perhaps that might be a better solution. Won't it require to have Active Directory installed in said computer, though? And it would probably require a tech guy to do that at the university, and it was intended that a teacher just received the file and ran it.

I assume Active Directory is the norm when doing this kind of installations, I've heard of it before. Perhaps I should talk with the CEO about it further. He wasn't too clear about the whole process, just asked me to write a batch file that installed the program in 260 computers lol. They make it sound so easy right?

Thank you for your help. I'm open to further specifications and solutions.

Edit: Computers & Structures Inc directly oversees this. Our CEO talked to them directly, don't think there'll be a problem, theyre internal affairs. I really do appreciate the concern though, good observation.

This post has been edited by AuRuMuS: 26 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Ah.. yeah, if you are running windows machines, in a networked environment like a school, there better be active directory running on the network. If not then I would suggest backing slowly away before breaking into a run.

Any mass install file should go through the network support. Again - I cannot speak of their process and regulations, but certainly 260 pc install needs to be ran past someone in support/IT.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

I can't help but agree with you. It seems like the right thing to do. I've spoken to the CEO, told him about Active Directory and the problem with anti-viruses. He insists I should make a batch file to run in each of the 250 computers. That's right you heard me, EACH of the 250/260 computers. There's no way I can do that without placeholders of some sort.

If I don't run the .bat file with admin rights it won't let me move the license file to the right directory in program files. If I do run it as admin, it won't understand the paths unless I FULLY specify them. If I FULLY specify them, how can the batch file run in 250 different computers with 250 different paths?

What should I do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

You are telling me he wants you to sit at 260 computers, login, install, copy a file, and repeat? Eesh.

What should I do?

I have no idea on your work environment, but perhaps take the initiative and call up the school's networking folk.. Explain who you are, what you are looking to do, and see if they can chip in some know-how and leverage what their networking capabilities are.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Active Directory provides a user login script, & I would use that to access the script (& install files) over a mapped network drive. If your boss hired you for IT, but is going to tell you how to do your job, I feel for you. But I don't know what advice we can offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yeah I've no idea what's going through his mind but ah well. He says they'll disable their AV for the installation lol wth?

Anyway thank you guys a lot. I'll see what I can do and perhaps update just to satisfy any curiosity.

This post has been edited by AuRuMuS: 26 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

Well this is my first IT job and I need it to pay for Uni so I think I rather just do what the CEO is asking really. Talked to him again, he was pretty specific. Wants a .bat that installs the software on a computer, silently and quicky.

I also got the impression he intended to send the batch through the server to all computers and have them run automatically. Listen, I can tell this is pretty fishy but if I was looking for some sort of malware I wouldn't be asking this at dreamincode.net. There are plenty of black hat sites and forums out there.

I just really need this job to go smoothly and if the CEO wants it this way, ah well.

Could you give me a hand? My current problem is running the setup without specifying the whole path and while running the batch file as admin. Obviously if I put the setup in the same folder as the batch I don't need to specify a path, and it all works out, I just need to send everything in a .zip. However, I need to run the batch as Admin because I'm copying a file into the program files folder, which returns an Access Denied if I don't run it as Admin. If I do run it as Admin, however, it doesn't recognize the setup path, unless I fully specify it.

What can I do? :c
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

I ended up writing a simple batch inside a folder that had to be extracted into C:\ and ran. And that's it, CEO approved. Whatever those guys do with that file is their problem. Kind of weird but hey, if that's what they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thank you for sharing your solution :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -