6 Replies - 2017 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My area is bad for programming, but I'm low on exp. Will moving he

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

I've gone through my story here a couple times. I graduated with a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems close to 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I did no internships or networking while in college. I had a junior programmer job at a printing company 7 months out of college, but got laid off 10 months ago. Since then, I've been looking for work and learning languages. I have only 2 projects on Github, but I'm looking to put more up later. I've had a few interviews, but nothing panned out.

My main issue is that I don't have enough experience. Though I'm aiming for programming positions, I only got in a year and a half at my previous job. That was in an obscure language called FoxPro. Also, my degree was CIS. I didn't appreciate the difference between CS/CIS in college. I knew fairly early I wanted to program, but after transferring from Community College, a CS degree would have taken way longer and cost way more at that point. Now that I'm trying to learn all this extra stuff on my own, I feel I should have taken that hit and switched majors. Now I don't have the cash to go back (and don't want to take on more loans).*

The second issue is that I live in Flint, Michigan. Aside from topping "worst crime in Michigan" lists every year, there's not a lot here in terms of programming work that I haven't already applied to. Heck, I've been applying to places 3-10 cities over since the start of my hunt, and not getting many bites. Due to meager savings post-layoff and my closeness to my relatives, I didn't want to move at first. Now I recognize I have to at some point. I was thinking of Lansing, because I see plenty of job postings coming from there and I've had relatives who lived there before and say it's nice. Any spot in MI where entry-level programmers are in demand will do though. I'll probably find some temp jobs to save up the money.

However, there's still the main issue. I don't have much work experience in programming. I also have a 10+ month gap on my resume. These things will still be true, even if I was able to move tomorrow. So, does it matter if I move? I think I can get temp work and save money, but the cost of moving will still be huge, and I don't want to take the gamble of moving if the move is ineffective.

*Please note I don't mean to start any war between CIS and CS majors here. I just feel I should have taken the CS degree.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My area is bad for programming, but I'm low on exp. Will moving he

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My area is bad for programming, but I'm low on exp. Will moving he

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

** Moved to corner cubicle **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Sorry about that. Also, the last word in the title is "help." I could have sworn I could see the whole title when I submitted (I remember taking words out for length). Now I can't find a way to edit the post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

The title was truncated because you exceeded the limit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

If there's nothing near you - and it sounds like you've given it a good shot - try an area where things are happening. Boston has a lot going on, and housing prices are not as insane as they are in New York and the Bay, though they probably look ridiculous to someone from Flint.
If you don't have the background and the experience for a programming position, you should make sure that you're applying to positions that you are in fact qualified for, as well as a few aspirational applications. IT is maybe not where you want to be, but it'll get you in the building. While you're doing that, take classes towards what you really want to be doing. This is doubly useful because it'll give you some support in your job search - access to a career center and internships. (internships in Boston pay reasonably well, and they're generally not fetching-coffee positions)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I know a number of people that started on the help lines until something.g else opened up in a development or other more closely related field. And I believe FoxPro is still in use by some in the automotive industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

I do recall that there is a major FoxPro support business in Detroit. A place in Cleveland was going to contract me for some work & mentioned that they used them for support.

It's one of those languages where no one really uses it, so no one really knows it. However those that do still make their money off of it don't have a lot of options.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1