Will a CS degree garauntee me a proffesional job in Web Developement?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 4270 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I want to be a web developer, and will self teach myself HTML, CSS, Javascript, and if I have time before i go to college, PHP, Python, SQL, MySQL, JQuery, and Django. I want to know these all by the time i get a degree.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Will a CS degree garauntee me a proffesional job in Web Developement?

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Will a CS degree garauntee me a proffesional job in Web Developement?

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

No. It largely depends on your skillset, portfolio, and ability to complete projects in a timely manner. Note as well that you are never "guaranteed" a job, unless you are a tenured professor.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Nothing will guarantee you a job... period.

If something did, do you think the unemployment rate would be higher than 0.0 % ?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

As already stated nothingness ng guarantees anything and even with tenure, you have to get their first. What do you know now? How long before you start on your degree path? And also relevant, how old are you? The reason why it is important is, you will likely change your mind several times. This is more common the younger you are and rarely is the career choice of someone young the path they actually follow.

Why specifically web development? I mean the hard soul searching answers not the it looks cool and I like the idea answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Well considering you misspelled the topic title, you're not off to a good start...

Drop the idea of learning everything under the sun when you start out. You'll kill yourself like that. Pick one of: Django, Rails. Start with it and make a full blog site with it. Doesn't have to be great, just has to work. Heck, you don't even really need to finish, just get the code up on Github and experiment away at it. The amount you learn from doing will be far greater than from just reading and learning every language out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 18 July 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

As already stated nothingness ng guarantees anything and even with tenure, you have to get their first. What do you know now? How long before you start on your degree path? And also relevant, how old are you? The reason why it is important is, you will likely change your mind several times. This is more common the younger you are and rarely is the career choice of someone young the path they actually follow.

Why specifically web development? I mean the hard soul searching answers not the it looks cool and I like the idea answers.

I am 15, and I used to want to be a software programmer but now i want to build my churche's website. Also, will it at least help?

View PostLemur, on 18 July 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

Well considering you misspelled the topic title, you're not off to a good start...

Drop the idea of learning everything under the sun when you start out. You'll kill yourself like that. Pick one of: Django, Rails. Start with it and make a full blog site with it. Doesn't have to be great, just has to work. Heck, you don't even really need to finish, just get the code up on Github and experiment away at it. The amount you learn from doing will be far greater than from just reading and learning every language out there.

Thanks. Actually, I dont plan to learn everything right away. Mastery of HTML, CSS, Javascriptfirst, then get really good at JQuery, then get really good PHP or Python, and finally get decently good at Django, SQL, and MySQL!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I am 15, and I used to want to be a software programmer but now i want to build my churche's website.

Web design is quite different than programming. Often when building websites though, you will require back-end functionality which will require programming. You might as well learn to program if you want to be a successful web developer.

As for college, you can pick up a lot of great skills in college. Keep in mind that in a classroom setting, the projects are small compared to the real world. A CS degree will also involve a lot of theory and math, which helps train your brain. You will also do a lot of low-level work (systems, circuit theory, assembly language, operating systems, etc.). So you have the opportunity to grow as a developer. If you take advantage of the opportunities and work to obtain internships in the summer, that's the best you can really ask for. Plus, internships are great door openers for jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Okay, you want to build a website. Let me first point out, that while admirable it is generally a bad idea to learn on someone else's project. How much knowledge do you have now and what if any help do you require? Is this a you volunteered or a request was made project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

No, there are no job guarantees.

There are a lot of moving parts in web development. There's HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and that's just the browser bit. The server side could be anything and what's hot today might be dead in four years. There are umpteen thousand different frameworks you could learn, most of which will also be dead. Even the technologies that survive under the same guise will probably be significantly different.

The point is, for web dev, you'll probably end up figuring most of it out on your own.

I'm dubious how much you'd get from a CS degree. Yes, you need to think like a programmer, but there's no discipline that quite teaches that; you're sort of expected to have a eureka moment along the way. Or fail.

I was a Liberal Arts Major, got a degree in English Lit, with a minor in CS. I knew CS was going to change and figured I'd get more from a broad base. The languages I learned formally in school? BASIC, Pascal, Mainframe Assembly... Yeah, that's real helpful. ;)

If you want to get a college degree, great. But do NOT expect that means a job when you're done. That said, many employers will check to see that you have a degree. Curiously, the precise nature of that degree doesn't matter to most: only that you have it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 19 July 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

How much knowledge do you have now and what if any help do you require? Is this a you volunteered or a request was made project?

It was decided by myself, not the church. We used to have a site, but they said we had problems and lost it. I decided it would be good to practice and fun to make their websites. And isnt doing other peoples sites what you do in a real job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostTrixielotakun, on 20 July 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

And isnt doing other peoples sites what you do in a real job?

That is true, but there is the expectation that you know what you are doing when it is a real job as well.

And as I said before, what help do you need on this en devour? Do you know how to plan out a project and all of the moving parts you will require? Or are you planning an ad-hock approach where you hope everything works in the end?

Learn HTML, then CSS. This will give you a starting point and the church a static site. Then move on to Javascript. That will give you client side interactivity. Then, pick a server-side language and learn database interaction with SQL. Then, move the churches site to a more dynamic system with what you have learned.

Take this one step at a time and you can learn what you are looking at. Try to learn everything at once and you will be lost, not remember anything, and have wasted a lot of time.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 20 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 20 July 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

View PostTrixielotakun, on 20 July 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

And isnt doing other peoples sites what you do in a real job?

That is true, but there is the expectation that you know what you are doing when it is a real job as well.

And as I said before, what help do you need on this en devour? Do you know how to plan out a project and all of the moving parts you will require? Or are you planning an ad-hock approach where you hope everything works in the end?

Learn HTML, then CSS. This will give you a starting point and the church a static site. Then move on to Javascript. That will give you client side interactivity. Then, pick a server-side language and learn database interaction with SQL. Then, move the churches site to a more dynamic system with what you have learned.

Take this one step at a time and you can learn what you are looking at. Try to learn everything at once and you will be lost, not remember anything, and have wasted a lot of time.

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to follow!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 19 July 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

No, there are no job guarantees.

100% this. You can not buy your way into a job with a degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 19 July 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

I am 15, and I used to want to be a software programmer but now i want to build my churche's website.

Web design is quite different than programming. Often when building websites though, you will require back-end functionality which will require programming. You might as well learn to program if you want to be a successful web developer.

I read that Web developing is the same as software programming. It was another site like this, stated by real, normal software programmers and web developers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Not necessarily. web tends to be separate from software that tends to be different than mobile.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +