Choosing the correct path

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 3263 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Choosing the correct path

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Hi everyone, I am a beginner(I think) I have been building a base of programming knowledge and skills since last year, just for fun. But now I was hoping to use this knowledge to help me pay some bills. I know quite a bit of python, I was learning java but stopped in between. I know also know linux command line(somewhat). I friend of mine told me that web designers earn $75/hr so I thought that was perfect for me. I taught myself some HTML and CSS and plan to master it afterwhich I plan to teach myself Javascript, JQUERY, PHP and probably SQL. The thing I want to know is will this be fruitful(financially) for me?

Please advise

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Choosing the correct path

#2 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Choosing the correct path

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

This isn't really a web development question, so much as it's a question about your carrier. It belongs under the Corner Cubicle & I have moved it for you.

To address the question, someone with entry level of experience isn't going to make $75 an hour.

Since you already know Linux, I would suggest installing Apache or Nginx & running your own server, & then also start learning back end, server side languages like PHP & understand MySql. Then you can label yourself as a Lamp Developer on-top of a Web Developer.

However, since all of these tools are free, there is a lot of competition out there. & that's really the key to landing any good, long term, high paying job, is being the best fit for the company, to be financially feasible for the company. Think of it this way, in order for you to be worth $75 an hour, how much are you going to make back for the company? Say you're building a website, at $75 an hour, how does the company leverage a profit for your skills?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

First, no one can say what is or is not a good fit for you. Second, there is a difference between web designer and web developer although depending on the company, they can merge. If either was easy to do, you would not be able to make $75 an hour.

Which do you want to do, design or program? Usually they are separate and they definitely require different skill sets. Either way, with just a year under you in any facet, you have a while to go before you have enough knowledge to expect a premium price for your services, let alone know what you are actually doing when it comes to everything involved.

Get/ keep a day job. Continue learning. Then try to make the jump into something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostDeSupreme, on 23 July 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

web designers earn $75/hr

Where? With how much experience? Is this salary or contract work ( hint, it's probably contract.) How many hours is the job? How many billable hours a day? How much down time between jobs? Do you like doing taxes four times a year...

Yes, it's possible to make that much for web design. It's also possible to make more or less than that. There are NO guarantees!

Designing web sites isn't quite what it used to be. Elementary school kids know the basics, so you probably need to know more than throwing together something pretty.

This TV commercial is ancient, but still apropos:

The skill set you've listed is currently quite viable and a good choice for someone who wants to work in web development. However, again, having skills and translating them to income is really up to you. No one just gives you cash for knowing things. You need to work, sell yourself, complete projects, kiss customer ass, etc. Being a developer is work. The kind of work you need to enjoy or you'll ultimately burn out and be useless at it.

If the goal is simply to make money then there are probably easier paths. If the goal is to do something full time you think you'll enjoy, then good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

To give you some real world comparison: I am a web developer. I can design if I have to, but I prefer to write the code. Typically (but not always) development pays higher than design. I have been a professional in the field for well over a decade. While I am decently compensated for what I do, I assure you what I make is a far cry from $75/hour.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Look hoss - this is a hard question on multiple levels and ultimately it comes down to you. No one knows who you are, where you live, circumstances, effort/will to learn, continuing education, job market needs, talent, etc. Folks can take stabs at what you may need (or you can research school curriculum and see their series of stepping stones in education are and model that), but nothing is guaranteed.

Eye ball jobs, look at freelancing postings, and see if any of the requests make sense. If they don't then you know you need to learn more. If they do - heck, try and bid on them.

Also look at the plethora of questions that are similar to this. Casting some furtive question out into the void hoping someone has all the answers just.. for.. them. It isn't a sure lock on your future. You need to evaluate what you know, how you can learn more, and how you can apply it. You may know bucket full of all the programming out there, but if you can't write a bid or get a contract/job then what is the use? There's that aspect.

So you want to tunnel vision on "web design" then sure.. go nuts. Snag a book, see what is needed, and learn. You outlined more or less the base skills of html, css, php, sql, javascript. Great.. you have broad tools, but are you able to craft what a client needs? That is all up to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

Also look at the plethora of questions that are similar to this.

Heaven forbid anyone actually read previously posted topics here. Come'on modi123_1, you know in the 10+ years of Dream In Code, this is the first time that someone is questioning the market, & how it relates to their future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Indeed - well I am working on my 'future predictor' algorithm. Way better than a magic eightball, with half as much accountability!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Awww... you coordinated your outfits and wore your sassy pants today! Twinsies!! :clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Darn toot'n!

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone, your advice has been quite helpful. To answer some of your questions I am going to begin my first year in LSE and programming has been more of a hobby until now where I hope to use these to help me make a decent side income. I really just needed an expert's opinion. My plan is first to design websites and make that look 'pretty' at the same time I will be teaching myself advance web development so I can label myself as a both a web designer and developer. After which I will teach myself more about LAMP development as no2pencil suggested. I really want to broaden my skill set and not only broaden it I want each to be good as the other. Hopefully after all of this is done I may also be able to quit my day job and work full time on development as it the thing I love to do the most. So do you guys think this is a good plan?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

So do you guys think this is a good plan?

Sounds well intended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostDeSupreme, on 24 July 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

programming has been more of a hobby until now
Hopefully after all of this is done I may also be able to quit my day job and work full time on development

Just keep in mind, there is a huge difference between creating your vision, from start to finish, & enjoying the process over your own time frame & this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I was expecting the Unicorn system... :whistling:

There is definitely a difference between what you want to do and what the client/ boss wants.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 24 July 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

I was expecting the Unicorn system... :whistling:

Design Hell indeed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0