1 Replies - 1299 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Basic computer topics - book recommendation needed

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi there,
It might be shameful but I think I forget more than half of the basic content covered in university, so I guess I need to revise some materials, in particular, these topics:

• computer OS (architecture, process scheduling strateries, memory, CPU etc.,)
  • basic networking (different layers, common protocols, wired and wireless, cellular network etc.,)
  • algorithm & DS (seeking for one that comes with practical questions and solutions, I can understand most basic DS out there but have trouble figuring out how to connect a real world problem with a well-known and already solved one)

I know it's pretty easy to seek for textbook recommendation on these topics but most of them are ~1k pages O.O. Above all, I find them too verbose on explaining stuffs.
I have started working now and have only a few time to read, not to mention there are so many new things to learn out there. In short, I would prefer some concise books that are not for totally new students, but to reinforce what I have learned in college. Any recommendation for me? Thanks in advance :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Basic computer topics - book recommendation needed

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Basic computer topics - book recommendation needed

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

One of the professors at my school has a free, online book that I'd encourage you to check out. He is also working on an online interactive text.

The pinned CS Books thread is also probably worth checking out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1