3 Replies - 1916 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting to work with artificial intelligences ?

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hello !
I'm a CS engineering student in France. I'm currently in an internship as a web developper, and it's not bad really, but I figured it's not the kind of work I want to do in the future.

I really enjoy programming challenges (I do some on a french site called codingame), which often are about artificial intelligence (mostly around pathfinding) and loved the AI introduction class I had this year (and most people hated it), and the rare times I got to work with robots. I think I would really like to get to work in artificial intelligence fields (robotics, video games ...) but I don't really have skills in it yet, and I worry that I can start to get "trapped" by my previous internships who relate more to information systems.
What I would like to know is, do you have any advice how I can improve in that field ? Maybe some good programming challenges sites, tutorials... The programming challenges I do are sponsored by companies to which you can apply when you participe, do you know other sites like this ?
I'd like to learn more about AI and to get an internship related to it next year. Do you know companies that work with AI that "easily" take interns (I will have completed 4 years of study next year)?
It's a lot of different questions, but I guess my overall question is do you have any advice on how I can improve with AI and get to work in it ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting to work with artificial intelligences ?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting to work with artificial intelligences ?

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

What I would like to know is, do you have any advice how I can improve in that field ?

As with most things - the way to Carnegie Hall is with practice, practice, practice. Read books, write code, build robots, keep up to date on specific areas in the field (because you cannot just "do AI".. there are subsections for careers), etc.

Maybe some good programming challenges sites, tutorials...

Maybe, but that is just the first half step. The rest requires to you actually thing on your own and let go of that hand holding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Don't jump into the industry then. Go to graduate school. Find a professor and do research with him or her. That's really the best way.
Make sure you're not math averse, but it sounds like if you enjoyed the AI course, you'll be fine there. I might also suggest taking some economics courses like intermediate microeconomics and game theory. It will give you a flavor for how people make decisions based on preferences and risk attitudes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thanks modi, I'm searching for pratice material, but you're right, maybe I need to do something of my own.
And thanks macosxnerd, but my school system is different. I'm not sure what the french equivalent of graduate school is : I guess the closer we have is to do an extra 3 years after engineering, but that is mostly for research rather than engineering. I also don't really get to pick my classes, but I will definitely look into what you suggested on my free time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1