2 Replies - 2946 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 06:48 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Design Tool - MakeHuman

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

I stumbled upon this great piece of software today that I thought I would share with you guys.

It is called MakeHuman, essentially it helps create a base for very well done Human characters which can be exported for further editing in Blender or other modeling tools.

Here is the link to the software.

Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Design Tool - MakeHuman

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Design Tool - MakeHuman

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

I'm not sure where the best place to submit such a thing is either. Maybe "Game Development Tools/Resources"?

I've used MakeHuman. It's an interesting program. I'm not sure it's that helpful for game programmers.

The models it outputs are too high poly and wasteful of polygons in a lot of ways. You want a much more optimized model for serious game programming work. Although, in MakeHuman's defense it actually has a couple of low poly export options which I found to be less than impressive. Still, the options are there. I just went ahead and worked with the wasteful high poly model since I'm not working on commercial projects with it.

The biggest problem is getting the model to work in a game. I imported the model into Unity and got it to work. I haven't tried the model in other environments.

Especially for Unity, the model is skinned and rigged all wrong. The rigging I think is designed more for movie making and such. I tried all of the different rig options and none of them work with Unity very well.

In the end, I ended up exporting the model to Blender without any rigging or skinning. Then I re rigged and skinned the model myself in order to get it to work in Unity. And it does work pretty well in Unity after all that work. Although, I've had issues with the textures not drawing properly and such.

Still, you can hardly beat the price... free.

With the amount of work you're going to have to put in to make a Make Human model work in game, I would suggest forgetting about it and learn to actually model. I highly recommend the book "Game Character Creation with Unity" instead of Make Human. I would not have known how to properly re-skin and rig the Make Human model without this book. So, it helped me get the Make Human model working in Unity. The book doesn't completely hold your hand through the modeling process, but I think you'll find most art instruction to be that way. It's like they want you to learn to "fly" on your own rather then give you a paint by numbers instruction like programmers will expect. I had to look at the pictures a lot as I followed along in the book and make some "executive decisions" about how exactly to model the character. The cover of the book is off-putting. That's your concept art and your "background image" on the cover. The model you actually make in following along in the tutorial is much better/professional/modern looking. And it truly is what you need to get started making your own humanoid models in Blender with or without Unity. Even if it leaves out a small step here and there it walks you through the entire process of creating humanoid characters for game programming. It even covers sculpting with normal maps to get the ultra high detailed models you are used to seeing in games these days. The model you do in the tutorial is not quite up to modern standards, but if it were any more detailed it would have been too hard for beginners; he's already leaving you on your own in several places to make your own decisions about how to model. This book is the place to start, and then you just work at becoming more skilled with every model you do afterwards.

But if you're going to go to this much trouble to make human models for games more than once or twice, I would recommend just learning to actually model humans from scratch in a program like Blender. The end results will be far better then what you're going to get out of Make Human. Well... they'll be more optimized anyway. As for their aesthetic appeal, modeling is an art and it takes a tremendous amount of practice.

In the end Make Human is mostly only as useful to game programming as your ability to model without Make Human. In other words, to make really good use of Make Human you pretty much need to be good enough with modeling that you don't actually need Make Human anyway.

But if you just want a free human character that with a little work you can import into a game for testing purposes and maybe learn a few things along the way, then Make Human is probably a good option. I know I learned a few things by making a Make Human model work in Unity.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 29 July 2014 - 04:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Game Design Tool - MakeHuman

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostBBeck, on 29 July 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I highly recommend the book "Game Character Creation with Unity" instead of Make Human.

I was actually going to buy that book yesterday at Barnes and Noble but they didn't have it in stock.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1