5 Replies - 1552 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice About Career Direction

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hello All,

So I've been doing a lot of research lately about different career paths. I've read books, blogs, posts on D.I.C. and it's a lot of information to process. I'm trying to at least come up with an idea of what I'd like to do when I graduate (still have 2 years left but it just moves too damn fast!). I'm a CS major so I'm obviously interested in programming and software development. I'm good at programming; I put in the time and effort, I care about my projects, and I've done well so far. I even like to work on projects in my free time (some of them have been shared on here). However, there are other students in my classes who are just leaps and bounds ahead of people like me. It's like C/C++ was the first language they learned to speak. I really like working with these people, not to use them as a crutch, but because I like the idea of a team of extremely smart people working together towards a common goal. I'm sure these types of situations can translate into the business world as well.

So what I would like to know is: what are some jobs out there that don't necessarily focus solely on programming but still allows me to work with a team of developers? I like the idea of being the middleman that can speak both the technical and business languages. Also, what would be some good things to study/research in order to move towards being more qualified for these positions?

I'm sure there are about 1,000,000 variables that I'm not accounting for so feel free to fire away with any comments, suggestions, concerns or questions. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice About Career Direction

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Advice About Career Direction

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

what are some jobs out there that don't necessarily focus solely on programming but still allows me to work with a team of developers?

Project managers, business analysts, testers, support tech, sys admins, networking folk, help desk coordinators, software doc writers, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

there will always be people smarter or better than you are-- the choice you need to make is do you really want to program-- if so who cares how smart others are as long as you are happy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

What are people's thoughts on UI/UX Design? From a lot of job descriptions that I've read, it seems like those positions involve more work with HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc. I'm fine with that, I enjoy working with those languages as well although it's not really "programming". I enjoy programming but what really excites me is how people interact with an application. I love the idea of not just providing a service but also an experience. Is there a lot of room for growth in that industry? I feel like the internet is only getting bigger, so it seems like a viable path. Let me know what you think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

It is certainly not going away.
http://www.smashingm...-and-resources/
Was This Post Helpful? 1