5 Replies - 1775 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what is a portfolio?

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I've seen this term used quite often around here. What is it and how do i create one?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what is a portfolio?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: what is a portfolio?

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

it is like a collection of items of which you are proud of.

such as programs, web pages, personal works.

it can be just about anything and how to make one is entirely up to you.

mine is on a cd which i can leave with people. It doesnt have much on it because I work for large companies and i just show perspective employers the site on which i work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Like an art portfolio where you would have multiple examples of quality, and varied, work... a coding portfolio would be a similar vein. Various projects you have worked on, polished, and cleaned up to show employers/clients that you know what you are doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Need more information on this portfolio. Do I just print out code to take to my interview or do I need to create a website or something?

Need more information on this portfolio. Do I just print out code to take to my interview or do I need to create a website or something?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Typically, for programmers, it will be something akin to your github account (username/ URL), or your personal site that is hosting the code and has images (and possibly executables) for each of the applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

I have 2 Portfolios. One is a website that links to various bodies of work I've made - websites and source downloads for applications. The other is a physical leather portfolio that I took to interviews. I still have it, but where I'm at right now I'll be happy if I'm here another 30 years so will hopefully never need it again.

So you might have a website, for instance. On that site feature
Screenshots - show what your work looks like
Links to websites you've built, if any
Downloadable source files(jars, .cs, .vb, whatever)
Source readable without downloading (Like so)
UML diagrams, flowcharts, and anything else that demonstrates your ability to conceptualize and communicate.

- As a general rule, items in your portfolio should be "Safe For Work" but don't necessarily have to be "Business Appropriate" - for instance, I include http://owbn.net in my portfolio with a description of the work I did on it. This should read somewhat like a resume. "Here's the site, here were my responsibilities, here are my deliverables."

The physical portfolio is slightly more chaotic, and slightly less. It should contain
- Print out of the job description for the position you're applying for
- Extra copies of your resume. I keep 5. One for you, one for your interviewer, and 3 in case other people join the interviewer.
- Printed out code samples. Like the resume, one for you, one for the interviewer, and 3 spare is my rule.
- Printed out UML diagrams, flowcharts, etc. Same rule on amount.
- A pad of paper. You should research the company you're interviewing with prior to your interview and write down some questions to ask during the interview. As it progresses, take notes on a blank sheet, and reference your questions to see if any of them are answered. You can then go over your questions later in the interview. Most interviewers like to see you asking questions.
- Pens. Because you need something to write with.
- Paper clips. I know that sounds weird. What you want to do is make "packets" with the above items. One each of your resume, code samples, diagrams, etc. Use paper clips so that they can easily remove pages from the packet and replace them. Keep them in the portfolio so you don't lose them.

I also keep my certifications in my portfolio so that I can show them if asked. Code for your portfolio should be short (like the above snippet repo code I linked), preferrably only 1-2 pages when printed. What's important is demonstrating things like readability, efficiency, and understanding of OOP fundamentals like design patterns. For instance I have one page that displays 3 short classes that work to create a Facade to a Proxy so that the proxy can be changed later without impacting the rest of the program.

Building a portfolio is kind of important, I can't recommend it enough. If nothing else it demonstrates something really important: you want the job enough to put the work into being organized and prepared for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1