6 Replies - 1877 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which Computer Science Fields Must Be Advanced?

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hello,

I'm just wondering if it would be correct to call the algorithms associated with artificial intelligence and machine learning a relevant issue that needs to be advanced/improved upon with new ideas?

If not, what other topics would fit that description?

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Computer Science Fields Must Be Advanced?

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Computer Science Fields Must Be Advanced?

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

I'm just wondering if it would be correct to call the algorithms associated with artificial intelligence and machine learning a relevant issue that needs to be advanced/improved upon with new ideas?

Yes. Is there something more specific you're getting at?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 September 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

Yes. Is there something more specific you're getting at?

Well, I'm writing my personal statement at the moment and one point I made was a younger generation could help solve such problems and further the subject so I was just checking if the current algorithms we use for AI/learning are actually an issue that needs to be researched further or not. (so thanks for the reply confirming that :))

With no AI actually passing the Turing test, I suppose it's obvious there's a problem with the algorithms being used at the moment but again was just checking to not make myself look stupid :P

Anyway, are you able to offer any insight as to why no AI has passed the test yet? Is it due to computer's lacking power limiting the algorithms that can be used or something else?

I know with quantum computing becoming more prominent it'll help improve the AI we have right now because of the faster processing speeds and such, and we'll have to find new algorithms to make use of that but quantum computers are still probably a long time away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

one point I made was a younger generation could help solve such problems and further the subject

Anyone with sufficient background could, in theory, do research in AI.

With no AI actually passing the Turing test, I suppose it's obvious there's a problem with the algorithms being used at the moment but again was just checking to not make myself look stupid

Check your facts. You might also want to understand what the Turing Test is.

I know with quantum computing becoming more prominent it'll help improve the AI we have right now because of the faster processing speeds and such

So what exactly is AI? How would you define it? What areas are relevant?

Well, I'm writing my personal statement

What is this personal statement going to be used for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

I'm writing the statement for my university application

Yeah, I've heard about that Eugene Goostman before making that post but there's some dispute as to whether he really 'counts'

I guess AI is just how a computer responds to different situations. There's a lot of difference between the AI used in Google's self driving cars and Cleverbot for example.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 01 September 2014 - 09:34 AM
Reason for edit:: No need to quote the post above you

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm writing the statement for my university application

Undergraduate then? While AI seems interesting now, I'd be careful about pitching it to an admissions committee. For one, they are non-technical. You are also non-technical in this field, and your interests are liable to change. And that's okay. Your personal statement should be you highlighting your accomplishments and what you bring to the table. A graduate school personal statement is more research driven where you get into what you really want to do. I'd check out this site for a bit more on a personal statement.

I guess AI is just how a computer responds to different situations.

At a high level, that's a fair understanding. Quantifying this is important from a CS perspective. There is lots of math in AI- statistics, graph theory, linear algebra, and such. Economics is also important and useful here. I'd encourage you to take an intermediate microeconomics course, as well as a course in game theory to get a better feel for things. These courses will give you a feel for quantifying preference and utility, as well as explaining/understanding why an actor chooses one consumption bundle over another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Mac, if this is the UK (we have personal statements on our UCAS forms), there is a good chance that one of the academics in the department will be nominated to process the applications. It will in all likelihood be a technical person who reads the personal statement.

However, I know one such nominee who when faced with a few hundred applicants decided life was too short to read the personal statements at all. When you're writing yours bear this in mind. I's more likely to get read to the end if it's in a readable style and doesn't labour the point.

It's a long time since I wrote my personal statement but I'd say mentioning a possible research interest in AI in the future is a good thing. They know you will probably change your mind before the end but having an aspiration is better than saying you just want three years of drunkenly dodging your adult responsibilitie, and you know CS is where all the hot boys and girls are.

one point I made was a younger generation could help solve such problems and further the subject

Is this because the older generation will be dead sooner?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1