6 Replies - 1956 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Offered a Job in Boston and Pittsburgh, where is the better market?

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

The title says it all, I've been offered two jobs, one in Boston and one in Pittsburgh.

I know Boston has a bigger tech scene, but I have two young daughters and I'm concerned about the cost of living (as both salaries are junior dev salaries).

Anyone in either of these two places have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Offered a Job in Boston and Pittsburgh, where is the better market?

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Offered a Job in Boston and Pittsburgh, where is the better market?

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

The cost of living in Boston is insane, and the housing market is a shitshow.

That said, I love it here. There's a lot of opportunity, and honestly it's about as close as you're going to get to "the [tech] scene" on the east coast. The vibe here is generally "active" - everybody has a place to be. They love their sports, and there are so many universities around that you are almost always within 1/4 mile of higher education. Much of Boston's professional population is transient and young.

I could also be sold on Pittsburgh - it's a different city with a different atmosphere. The cost of living is cheaper, the food and bar scene is probably more down to earth. There are still good opportunities and schools there. If you want a reasonably sized place somewhat in or near the city, you're going to have to go to Pitt.

If the two salaries are similar, Pitt is a better choice financially. The Boston salary had better scale with cost of living or you're going to be losing out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

View Postxclite, on 18 September 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

You should try San Francisco some time then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

If you want to buy a place, yeah - you're kinda looking at trouble. But that's sort of the way it goes, isn't it? Good jobs draw lots of people making good money, or wanting to, and the market goes goofy.
One thing to think about is whether you're in Boston/Cambridge, or out in whereversville. If the place you're working at is on the T (the subway) then you're looking at one set of options, but if it's in the sticks then you've got another.

That said, I love it here. There's a lot of opportunity, and honestly it's about as close as you're going to get to "the [tech] scene" on the east coast. The vibe here is generally "active" - everybody has a place to be. They love their sports, and there are so many universities around that you are almost always within 1/4 mile of higher education. Much of Boston's professional population is transient and young.

I wouldn't put "scene" in scare quotes. There's a hell of a lot going on here - it's not the same as San Francisco, but you're not going to run out of stuff to do here, either career wise or in terms of pursuing your interests.
To add to the attractions of our fair metropolitan area, there's also plenty of music, good bookstores, some very good breweries (yo, xclite - I think it's about time for another round...) two excellent art museums, and not one but two great library systems. Add in a very active maker space, some very good food, and about the only thing you're missing is decent coffee. (which exists, but it's very hard to find - mostly they like that super-acidic crap like what you get from Stumptown, where an espresso tastes like a grapefruit rind)

If the two salaries are similar, Pitt is a better choice financially. The Boston salary had better scale with cost of living or you're going to be losing out.

I can go along with this - but I'd wager that Boston will give you a lot more room to move up. If you're topping out for Pittsburgh wages, and coming in at the low end in Boston, then you might want to factor in the potential for growth beyond cost of living.

If you come to Boston to check it out, send me a PM. I can point you to some fun stuff to check out while you're in town.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:17 AM

View PostLemur, on 19 September 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

You should try San Francisco some time then.

I would have said the same thing had SF been one of the options.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 September 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

I wouldn't put "scene" in scare quotes.

Oops, didn't mean for those to be scare quotes. There are definitely things going on.

some very good breweries (yo, xclite - I think it's about time for another round...)

I agree.

I can go along with this - but I'd wager that Boston will give you a lot more room to move up. If you're topping out for Pittsburgh wages, and coming in at the low end in Boston, then you might want to factor in the potential for growth beyond cost of living.

This can be true. Another point that is implied but not explicitly stated here is that movement to other companies is probably easier in Boston because there are just more of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR   User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

Well I am from Pittsburgh and been to Boston. Having said that I would say the opportunity in jobs is about equal but in Pittsburgh you will have 100000000000000x better medical facilities, better zoo(one of US top rated zoo's), better colleges (CMU, Duquesne, Pitt, RMU), great museums including a children's museum, cheaper lifestyle, easier commute.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pittsburgh
http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1