• Last »

92 Replies - 6587 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

#1 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Fall / Winter 2014 Fitness

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

The seasonal change is here so time to flip that jock jams tape over and go for the b-sides! Pump up the jam, pump it up; While your feet are stompin'; And the jam is pumpin'; Look ahead the crowd is jumpin'

With the weather change (well for those of use who have weather changes) it means altering routines, and is a great time to break out of some lax muscle memory and try something new!

I have to say - summer was good. More of a "maintain" than make some mad gaains, but I have a better idea where I should be at for activity. Being pushed indoors to the gym I think I'll angle towards looking at integrating the "100 pushups" and "200 situps" programs. See about working on that upper body and core.

What about everyone else? Are you looking to change your routine? Tinker with some dietary changes? Push for a new goal the season?

---------------

Miscellaneous links:
supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..
100 no-equipment workouts

Historical links:
(for ideas check the first posts, and general commentary, research, etc)
Spring - Summer 2014 Fitness
Fall-Winter 2013
Spring-Summer 2013
Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fall / Winter 2014 Fitness

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Fall / Winter 2014 Fitness

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Summer was good. I switched from running and bodyweight workouts to lifting weights. I have been doing the Stronglifts program all summer. I am up to 210 on squats, 150 bench, 235 deadlift, 110 overhead press, and 140 barbell rows. I plan on adding some running back in since the weather will cool down here in Texas. I gained about 20 pounds from my lowest weight last summer and I have shed 10 pounds in recent months. Went back to drinking sodas everyday and eating sweets when I stopped tracking ym calories. I have learned I have to really watch what I eat and keep myself accountable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

No new goals for fitness, my workouts alternate slightly depending on what I am trying to target but one of my most common weeks if busy is a 4 day/week 45min long workout plan. My schedule looks like this:

Monday: (Upper Body): Dumbbell Military Press, Tricep extensions, Curls, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Push-ups, Dumbbell bench press, Hand-stand pushups, etc.
Tuesday: (Lower Body): Use a 50 pound weight vest for workout: Stair climb, Lunges, Squats, Calf raise, Barbell Squats.
Wednesday: (Rest Day) or (30-45 min Cardio)
Thursday: Repeat Monday workout (Alternate exercises)
Friday: Repeat Tuesday workout (Alternate exercises)
Saturday: (Rest Day) or (30 min Cardio)
Sunday: (Rest day)

When workout out I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) & W1RM Training (One-Repetition Maximum)

HIIT involves making sure that you have active heart rest in-between workouts. So whenever I'm resting in-between sets I'll do classic jumping jacks or hop on a balance board.

W1RM Training involves a workout plan that is targeted in increasing strength. To train this way you have to follow a couple steps. I'll give an example based on a bench press workout.

Workout: Bench-press
1. To find your W1RM you should use a spotter if at all possible, otherwise you should take only 80-85 % of your W1RM.
2. To find W1RM you need to essentially see how much weight you can put up with 1-rep only. You are trying to find the max amount of weight you can push up on the bench press.
3. Once found you can train using a workout plan such as this:

W1RM: (Example): 160 LBS MAX

1: 10 Reps (Warm Up) of 65-70% of your MAX (104 LBS)
2: 5 Reps of 75-80% of your MAX (120 LBS)
3: 3 Reps of 85-90% of your MAX (136 LBS)
4: 2 Reps of 95% of your MAX (152 LBS) (You can skip this step if you like)
5: 1 Rep of 100% of your MAX (160 LBS)

This post has been edited by E l e c t r i c: 23 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Modi if your after a mad body weight workout like that there's an awesome crossfit Hero WOD - Murph

(Supposed to be done with a weighted vest but i wouldn't recommend it)

1 Mile Run
100 Pull ups
200 Push ups
300 Air squats
1 Mile Run

Done for time

This post has been edited by Damage: 23 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 BenignDesign   User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

The required, semi-annual update: Still a fatass.

Spoiler

Progress is slow, but slow progress is better than no progress, right? If someone could somehow make chocolate taste like shit, that'd be great (she says as she shoves a fun size Milky Way into her gob for breakfast).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

i am playing hockey and walking
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

This Fall and winter I'm working on cutting up with a new diet. I'm down to eating <1500 cals a day, i eat something every 2-3 hours and my weight is dropping (hopefully fast enough for me to enjoy Thanksgiving). Cardio has been 30 mins of HIIT on the elliptical for the past 3 week (I will rotate to the treadmill next week) I have trained my arms intensively during the past few months, so I am focusing on back and chest. Lots of Lat bar pull - downs and V grip pull downs with dumbbell chest workouts. Still waiting out on starting an ab routine (I probably should get on that) :turned:/>

BTW, I am a little over 6'3 and my arms are really long. Working on some machines can be a little annoying because I would have to take an uncomfortable position to get a good workout. Anyone else have this problem?

idk how that happened, my apologies :withstupid:

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 24 September 2014 - 08:07 AM
Reason for edit:: Serious weirdness. Fixed it for you! - B9

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Ended summer cutting -13 pounds = ~167-170 depending on waterweight. Going to start my bulk/recomposition cycle this season and hopefully pack on a lot of muscle mass while keeping body fat low. I do Coolicada's Push / Pull / Legs routine with varying rep ranges depending on what I want to focus on.

i intermittent fast (eat only from 10-6pm or 12-8pm depending on if i have classes or work or if its a weekend). recently started upping my carbs.

p.s.: forgot to mention 5'10.5"

This post has been edited by lilVaratep: 29 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostTheMightyUch, on 24 September 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

This Fall and winter I'm working on cutting up with a new diet. I'm down to eating <1500 cals a day, i eat something every 2-3 hours and my weight is dropping (hopefully fast enough for me to enjoy Thanksgiving). Cardio has been 30 mins of HIIT on the elliptical for the past 3 week (I will rotate to the treadmill next week) I have trained my arms intensively during the past few months, so I am focusing on back and chest. Lots of Lat bar pull - downs and V grip pull downs with dumbbell chest workouts. Still waiting out on starting an ab routine (I probably should get on that) :turned:/>/>

BTW, I am a little over 6'3 and my arms are really long. Working on some machines can be a little annoying because I would have to take an uncomfortable position to get a good workout. Anyone else have this problem?

idk how that happened, my apologies :withstupid:/>

6'3" and eating less than 1500 calories a day? how much do you weigh?! don't eat less than your sedentary BMR unless you're looking for some serious muscle loss and don't care about it and just want to lose weight. You'll be missing out on a lot of gainz with that much of a caloric deficit, esp if its under BMR
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

I was born ripped, so I'm gonna just write some code to strengthen my mind...

Seriously, I've been mixing free weights with calisthenics, gaining muscle visibility in new areas. Also, I'm pretty vascular - naturally - so I'm looking real cleaaannn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

6'3" and eating less than 1500 calories a day? how much do you weigh?! don't eat less than your sedentary BMR unless you're looking for some serious muscle loss and don't care about it and just want to lose weight. You'll be missing out on a lot of gainz with that much of a caloric deficit, esp if its under BMR

I've been told, but I'm really dead set on lowering my body fat. I spent march - July lifting seriously and got "huge" but my arms aren't as cut as I would like them to be. I still lift to try and minimize my muscle loss. I do eat bit more on weekends. I am minimizing my carbs and eating nothing but protein rich food and vegetables. I do eat the same size meals, but I cover my plate with vegetables which are very little calories, while eating protein bars or fruits as snacks in between.

I am open to changing my system, just trying to find what works best for me

This post has been edited by TheMightyUch: 30 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostTheMightyUch, on 30 September 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

I've been told, but I'm really dead set on lowering my body fat. I spent march - July lifting seriously and got "huge" but my arms aren't as cut as I would like them to be. I still lift to try and minimize my muscle loss. I do eat bit more on weekends. I am minimizing my carbs and eating nothing but protein rich food and vegetables. I do eat the same size meals, but I cover my plate with vegetables which are very little calories, while eating protein bars or fruits as snacks in between.

I am open to changing my system, just trying to find what works best for me

what are your sets / rep ranges like while doing this hard cut?
i've found that lifting HEAVY ~6 reps is best to minimize muscle loss. and you especially need to get ~1g protein per pound of lean body mass [weight - (weight * [bodyfat%/100] ) ]
also need to decrease amount of sets you do so that you aren't drained throughout the week
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

what are your sets / rep ranges like while doing this hard cut?
i've found that lifting HEAVY ~6 reps is best to minimize muscle loss. and you especially need to get ~1g protein per pound of lean body mass [weight - (weight * [bodyfat%/100] ) ]
also need to decrease amount of sets you do so that you aren't drained throughout the week

I am strength training my back and chest(about 6-8 reps) and trying to cut my arms down (10 - 15) (alternating days). I do about 5 - 7 sets (depends on which muscle group). Listening to music keeps me pumped enough to do cardio then lifting in the same day, :walkman: but after about 3 straight days I have to take a rest day...or bad things happen.
I don't want to lose my arms, so I will go back to heavy lifting and see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 24 September 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

The required, semi-annual update: Still a fatass.

Spoiler

Progress is slow, but slow progress is better than no progress, right? If someone could somehow make chocolate taste like shit, that'd be great (she says as she shoves a fun size Milky Way into her gob for breakfast).

Order some European chocolate. You won't be able to stomach the vomit-flavored American simulacrum after that, and obtaining it is too much of a hassle to have a lot on hand.

This post has been edited by depricated: 30 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 BenignDesign   User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Oh, I have had European chocolate...and while it is FAR superior, it does not stop me from consuming copious amounts of brown, slightly chocolate flavored wax. After a while, the memory of real chocolate grows so distant, you almost forget how good it was...and you go back to the cheap, American shit.

I've even been known to eat Palmer chocolates in a moment of pure desperation. They don't even taste like pseudo-chocolate. They taste like something scraped from a dumpster.

Some folks have heroin. I have chocolate.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »