1 Replies - 2098 Views - Last Post: 23 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

#1 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

MIT students summoned for source code for Bitcoin mining tool

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Innocent until proven guilty, so show us how innocent you are so we don't find you guilty ;)/>

Four MIT students behind an award-winning Bitcoin mining tool will face off against New Jersey state authorities in court today when they attempt to fight back against a subpoena demanding their source code.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is representing 19-year-old MIT student Jeremy Rubin and three classmates in a remarkable case that stands out for the measure of aggression the state is using to obtain the code and identify anyone who might have tested the mining tool.

[Full Article]

The case marks a disturbing trend among authorities to go after researchers, innovators, tinkerers and others who try to do cutting-edge projects to help the tech community, says EFF staff attorney Hanni Fakhoury.

Interestingly enough, there is a documentary I watched on YouTube that documents cases of strange situations of energy innovators either unrealistically commuting suicide, or out right going missing during trial. That is if you have an open mind enough for (or can look past) all the alien stuff.

What I am most curious about in regards to the MIT students, is why the state would want source code for bit-mining when the federal government is actually trying to shut down the currency. Thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: MIT students summoned for source code for Bitcoin mining tool

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MIT students summoned for source code for Bitcoin mining tool

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Well they are asking for both the source and any documentation. My belief is that they want to see how the program works so that they can find other projects with similar design and/or techniques and attack those people as well. I am sure if they can show that no bitcoins were ever mined using it that the state has no case. It is like accusing someone of stealing money but then no one reporting any money stolen.

Thanks for the article. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1