3 Replies - 885 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Development Intern Question

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ok, let me start this question off by stating the situation I am in. I am currently a sophomore in college pursuing a Computer Science degree. My eventual goal in life is to become a software engineer at one of the tech giants. I am currently an IT intern in a corporate environment working for the state. It's not a typical internship, and I basically work part time even when I am in school. I have already been here about 6 months now. My job pertains to Desktop Support, helping people fix their computer issues that work here, so it doesn't necessarily help me with programming.

At my work location we also have web developers that I may get the chance to intern under. What my question is, will being a web developer intern help me if I want to get more into the software side of things? I don't want my resume to get glossed over because my intern experience isn't relevant. While we're at it, will any hiring manager take my Desktop Support internship seriously just because it is in I.T.?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Development Intern Question

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Development Intern Question

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Development, whether for online, systems, or desktop is a similar process.

Have you started a portfolio that shows what you can do? That will play a role in getting a position as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

If you do good work and have people who will speak well for you, that can't hurt you. Talk to your web dev internship mentor. If you can get into doing more backend work, this is more or less like writing "real software" - you'd be developing code to pass the right values along to some other function, which is good experience. You'd probably not want to be working heavily on fussing with js or design-level stuff, like moving this box three pixels to the left - if that's what your internship would be about, probably it's a less attractive option for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 26 September 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Development, whether for online, systems, or desktop is a similar process.

Have you started a portfolio that shows what you can do? That will play a role in getting a position as well.

Not yet. I've just stepped into my first programming class after getting most of my pre-reqs out of the way. The class uses Basic, and I'm trying to start learning Java as well. I've taken a look at Martyr2's project idea list to get an idea for some early level things I can do. So far I've made a calculator lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1