5 Replies - 914 Views - Last Post: 01 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where should I start - adjust areas of monitor color in background

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'm a college student that has completed the 1st 2 classes, intro to programming and Algorithms, both in Java. I've written some simple programs outside of class that requires some self study - e.g. quick address book app with GUI from JavaFX and data stored in H2with JDBC. All those programs are ultimately easy, but kind of useless.

Currently, my OSX computer screen has blotches of color on it due to a damaged screen. On a dark background, they show up slightly lighter, and on a white background, they show up slightly yellow. I wonder if it would be possible to build an application to control the color of the spot so that it will match the background as closely as possible. I probably want it to end up running as a daemon, but right now would be happy to just get it started.

I understand that at my current level, learning everything to build this and actually coding it is going to take me a long time, but I think it will be good experience. The problem is, there is so much that I don't know about programming and how the computer actually works that I have no idea where I should start. I think i can get a colors map by taking samples from something like photoshop, but once i find the correlation between colors of the spot and the rest of the screen, where should I go next? Since I want it to run like a daemon, Java is probably out as a language to use. Would C, or some other language be better? Also, how would I manipulate just the selected area of the screen? Is it related to the OS X operating system, or a particular library? Any advice for books, references or tutorials that's related to what I plan would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where should I start - adjust areas of monitor color in background

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where should I start - adjust areas of monitor color in background

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

A broken screen is a broken screen. Why not look into fixing that , spend the energy learning some hardware maintenance, and not spin wheels chasing some figment of software correcting busted hardware?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 September 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

A broken screen is a broken screen. Why not look into fixing that , spend the energy learning some hardware maintenance, and not spin wheels chasing some figment of software correcting busted hardware?

Cause I can't afford a new screen lol. I'm not paying apple $700 to replace it, and am also not willing to gamble $500 on trying to assemble myself when the screen is perfectly functional. I've tested that it's possible to make the discolored section look exactly like the rest of the screen by playing with colors and comparing pictures of it. The discoloration is barely noticeable, so I figured this is a nice complex problem I can try to design the solution to get more coding experience, without pressure from deadlines and a nice personal reward if done successfully.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well, good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:18 AM

It's certainly an interesting idea. Software for colour blind users tweaks colours. This might be a good starting point for your research. It sounds like you really need something at the operating system level and Java might not be the best tool. It's certainly going to be a lot of work and it might not even be successful.

I agree with modi123_1 that it would be easier to just replace the screen (or put up with it). If it's too expensive for the part then maybe you need to rethink your hardware.

I had to do the same with my car. The maintenance became so expensive that I could no longer afford to keep it. I traded in my fun car and bought a sensible car. The trade in value + savings on maintenance meant I could break even on a brand new sensible car (assuming no maintenance for three years). Factoring in petrol, road tax and insurance savings over the same period and I saved money buying a brand new car. When it does need some TLC at the garage, I bet the parts will be cheaper than the old car too.

$700 for a new screen sounds pretty steep, but macs are top end machines. My whole laptop was 400. Guess what I'll do if the screen breaks? I'll put the whole lot in the bin and buy a new one, for less than your screen repair. Computers need to be disposable. Even if you don't break them, you will always need a better one every few years. Bearing this in mind, I can't afford a mac on my disposable income. Maybe you can't either.

Maybe you do some IOS programming and really do need a mac. What other options are there? You could buy an external monitor for $200 for home use and still have the usable built in screen for uni. If you did buy a second cheaper laptop then you could save the mac for IOS programming and use the new one for everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, I'm well aware that Java is not feasible XD Since OS X is written in C and derivatives of it, I'm looking into it. I can definitely live with the screen, the computer was a gift from a friend lol, so no plans on getting another one. Hmm, I didn't think about software for the color blind. I'm been looking at the source code for RedShift, a open source written in C that adjust screen color and gamma with time, and am now starting to look at Color Oracle, which is written in java. Color blind software is certainly interesting! Visolve adjusts the color every time a particular shade is displayed, so I'm sure what I'm proposing is feasible. If only it was open source... Guess it's time to start digging into OS X.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1