12 Replies - 1489 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need help understanding what I have and need to learn.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

I'll start this off explaining my situation a bit more. I'm currently going to school at my local community college for my associates with plans to transfer to a university for 1.5 years from now to finish my bachelors degree in CIT / Software development. I've taken a number of entry level programming classes that cover pretty much the same information (Variables to Arithmatic Operators to If/Else to Loops to arrays to file input / output to entry level OOP topics . Thats pretty much been the same for each and everyone of my programming classes I've taken so far (Java, C++, PHP, Python, Javascript). Now they'll throw in language specific topics and have assignments for us to complete to show our understanding of the material we covered occasionally.

My questions are

, as I'm about to enter the last leg of my schooling, based on what I've said here, am I on track for what I need to know, is there things I should take the time to study up on and put into practice? or will my future classes touch on what I seem to not have knowledge of at this point?

I've made a point today that I want to start creating projects however small they may be, just so I can get into the habit of planning things out. But I would definitely like to create some real-world applications that have a use in some form or fashion.

I appreciate any comments or pokes in the right direction ahead of time, I'm definitely open to any advise, whether I'll like to hear it or not.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need help understanding what I have and need to learn.

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need help understanding what I have and need to learn.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

or will my future classes touch on what I seem to not have knowledge of at this point?

That's hard to tell. I would examine what the remainder of your required classes subject matter would entail (both at your community college and the future university level) and gauge from there.

based on what I've said here, am I on track for what I need to know, is there things I should take the time to study up on and put into practice?

Software design is always a good one to bone up on.

I've made a point today that I want to start creating projects however small they may be, just so I can get into the habit of planning things out. But I would definitely like to create some real-world applications that have a use in some form or fashion.

But I would definitely like to create some real-world applications that have a use in some form or fashion.

You should take a look at the 'project lists' typically pinned in the forum threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

I posted the other day about my course's and some questions relating. After speaking with an adviser I got a hold of a course description that summarizes what the courses focus is on. If any experts, teachers, or anyone else could offer their insight into this list and help me pick out what the overall program focus is on, I would appreciate it, as I'm having a difficult time communicating with the representatives of the University.

For bonus points if someone could, I have to take roughly 4 , 300 Level Courses, and 8 400 Level courses out of this list

• Four 300-level courses (usually taken in the first semester): CIT 300, 302, 352, 372
• Eight 400-level electives (students may select their own electives)

If someone that understands better than myself what these classes are exactly and could help pick out 8 400 level electives that will benefit me the most, while keeping in mind I want to focus on programming(what ever language/ style / or focus I like them all) I would owe that person a lot. Java / C++ / Python have been my go to languages for the most part, but if I needed to I'm fine with switching over to more Javascript/HTML/PHP oriented work, not that I probably have much ability to choose at this point. Worst case scenario I can search other degrees offered in my state and see if anything better exemplifies what I have an interest in.

I know I'll probably receive a bit of flak for not looking into this earlier, but last spring they briefly took away the degree when I was looking into it, then they re-instated it halfway into summer but excuses aside my time to take care of this is now.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the Course Description List :

CIT 300. ON-LINE TRAINING FOUNDATIONS. (3) Prerequisite: Admission to the CIT program. Introduces students to educational technology and the distance education process necessary for the CIT program.

CIT 302. WEB DEVELOPMENT. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 300 or permission of the instructor. Introductory course in web design and development. Provides students with strategies and skills to plan and develop commercial web sites.

CIT 310. SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 300. Introduction to applied technology and computer architecture. Emphasis will be on hardware specification and selection, troubleshooting, maintenance and optimizing system performance.

CIT 312. SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 310. Introduction to software elements of the computer, including operating systems, programming tools and system utilities. Course will emphasize these elements in an applied, organizational context.

CIT 330. SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 300. Emphasis on developing structured system applications and program logic. Assumes no prior experience with system development and does not focus on any particular language.

CIT 332. SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 330. Study of system development tools commonly used in businesses and organizations. Topics include interfacing systems with databases and web applications.

CIT 350. DATABASE ADMINISTRATION I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 300. Introduction to database applications and related fundamentals including database models, normalization and principles of effective database design.

CIT 352. DATABASE ADMINISTRATION II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 350. A continuation of CIT 350 with emphasis on developing distributed database solutions, client–server models for business use and advanced SQL.

CIT 370. TELECOMMUNICATIONS I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 300. Overview of modern networking systems, including networking fundamentals, local-area networks, routing addressing, wide-area networks, remote access and security. Emphasis on applied technology used in organizational settings.

CIT 372. TELECOMMUNICATIONS II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 370. Introduction to the TCP / IP protocol, its use in an organizational environment and the different sub-protocols that underlie popular business applications.

Note that all 300-level courses are required for all traditional students. However, 300, 302, 352, and 372 are also required for 2+2 students.

CIT 412. ADVANCED SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 312. A continuation of CIT 312 with a focus on enterprise architecture and how to design computer system solutions using industry-standard operating systems and tools.

CIT 414. ADVANCED SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 412. Examines both the managerial aspects of system design – build-vs.-buy, labor and related strategic decisions – and administration of corporate networks and related systems.

CIT 416. SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION I. (3) Prerequisite CIT 312. Strategies and techniques to prepare students for enterprise server design, implementation and maintenance, including advanced networking hardware and software tools.

CIT 418. SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 416. A continuation of CIT 416 that provides more in-depth analysis of system architecture and administration, developing strategic advantage through appropriate investments in technology and contemporary issues in enterprise computing and management.

CIT 432. ADVANCED SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 332. Focuses on advanced system-development approaches. Students will utilize modern development tools to build business systems and applications.

CIT 434. ADVANCED SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 432. Focuses on the managerial aspects of systems development. Analyzes the various stakeholders of enterprise software architectures, including software architects, designers, analysts, developers, members of IT strategy departments and project managers.

CIT 436. WEB SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT I. (3) Prerequisites: CIT 302 and CIT 332. Emerging trends in web-based applications and how they are developed. Emphasis on building business-oriented solutions using web technology and the Internet.

CIT 438. WEB SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 436. A continuation of CIT 436 providing additional coverage of web service and application topics. Also emphasizes integration with existing database systems and legacy applications.

CIT 452. ADVANCED DATABASE ADMINISTRATION I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 352. Focuses on administering the enterprise database system. Emphasizes implementation and administration issues associated with large-scale database systems.

CIT 454. ADVANCED DATABASE ADMINISTRATION II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 452. A continuation of CIT 452. Related managerial issues are emphasized in this course. Topics include data warehousing, data mining and distributed database systems administration

CIT 456. SYSTEMS ANALYSIS & DESIGN I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 352. Modern analysis and design techniques with an emphasis on developing organizational systems.

CIT 458. SYSTEMS ANALYSIS & DESIGN II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 456. Analysis and design of object-oriented systems.

CIT 472. ADVANCED TELECOMMUNICATIONS I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 372. Strategies for planning, designing and implementing wireless networks including Wi-Fi ad hoc networks, hybrid wireless, etc. as part of an overall organizational network strategy.

CIT 474. ADVANCED TELECOMMUNICATIONS II

CIT 476. NETWORK ADMINISTRATION I. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 372. Network administration and management with an emphasis on technologies and tools for supporting large-scale business networks.

CIT 478. NETWORK ADMINISTRATION II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 476. The latest Microsoft technologies and tools for supporting network administration in organizational environments.

CIT 482. SYSTEMS SECURITY I. (3) Prerequisites: CIT 300 and permission of instructor. An examination of computer and corporate security in business settings, emphasizing security implementation within corporations using commercial tools and technologies.

CIT 484. SYSTEMS SECURITY II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 482. A continuation of CIT 482 that provides additional study and experience with managerial / operational issues affecting the security of enterprise computers and networks; examines available tools and opportunities in the field.

CIT 486. KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT. (3) Prerequisites: CIT 300 and permission of instructor. Examines computer-based knowledge – how organizations can capture, store, share and effectively manage their intellectual resources.

CIT 492. TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT I. (3) Prerequisites: CIT 300 and permission of instructor. Examines the management of technological projects including planning, implementation, control, quality, time and budget.

CIT 494. TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT II. (3) Prerequisite: CIT 492. A practical examination of information technology with emphasis on the tactical and operational role of IT in an organization.

CIT 496. TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT ADMINISTRATION. (3) Prerequisites: CIT 300 and permission of instructor. Explores the challenge of supporting technology resources within an organizational setting and presents current strategies and tools employed by managers to support users and technologies across the firm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

I appreciate the response, I definitely will take a look at the project list and start pulling some programs from their to work on!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

If any experts, teachers, or anyone else could offer their insight into this list and help me pick out what the overall program focus is on,

Let's start off with: What do *YOU* want to focus on? Your future is going to depend on you being able to plan, adapt, and achieve. It is your money - so spend it where you would enjoy it, and no wring your hands over trying to make some sort of imaginary ultimate right-move. You are angling for a comp sci degree, you know some languages, you enjoy what you code, and are okay doing projects. You covered most of the bases right there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Of course, I enjoy working on programs and being able to put into practice what I've gone over so I can better understand and see it working with my own eyes. My ideal program / degree would be something that covered more language specific topics, while adding on some general practice and design courses to supplement what I get from those and better prepare me for the road ahead.

What I see out of this program/degree is more networking oriented, which is not something I'm interested in at all. Anything that can benefit my interest in coding is fine with me, whether thats more application/ game based , or leaning towards more web development and or business applications.

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 October 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

If any experts, teachers, or anyone else could offer their insight into this list and help me pick out what the overall program focus is on,

Let's start off with: What do *YOU* want to focus on? Your future is going to depend on you being able to plan, adapt, and achieve. It is your money - so spend it where you would enjoy it, and no wring your hands over trying to make some sort of imaginary ultimate right-move. You are angling for a comp sci degree, you know some languages, you enjoy what you code, and are okay doing projects. You covered most of the bases right there.

When I said the quote about the teachers / experts, I really have no understanding of what this program focus's its courses on. Is this a networking degree, a web development, I'm not entirely sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

I really have no understanding of what this program focus's its courses on. Is this a networking degree, a web development, I'm not entirely sure.

It should be fairly clear in the title of the degree, and from talking to your college's counselor, what your degree is all about.

I know my degree had 'focus' paths you could take (since there was a wide swath of topics covered under "comp sci"), and you would take what you want accordingly. My guess that is what may be going on here, but I don't know for sure.

If you don't like networking then don't take those classes. That narrows down your list. Repeat elimination, or just flag ones you think are interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

It was specifically just a CIT Degree from what I could find there were no indications as to what the focus exactly was. To help further understanding, I'm looking to apply for entry level software development jobs once I've graduated and completed my degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Okay, if you do not have "tracks" or "focus areas", and you want to code, then don't take the networking classes. Focus on the design portion, management, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Sure sure, are the other classes more programming oriented for the most part aside from the obvious web-development ones? I just want to try to understand the scope or focus of the classes before I make a decision whether or not this is the right program for me to be undertaking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

are the other classes more programming oriented

Hell if I know - I never went to where ever your school is, but I do know is you can logic some of this out. A class on designing software will probably not go into syntax of a specific language. The same with architecture. Database classes would stick to the SQL language.

Come on now, this is all something you should be able to reason out yourself. You are the actual "boots on the ground" there. Failing that track those classes down and talk to the teachers. Maybe find the class page on class on the internal network and look at an old syllabus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

I finally got some information, this seems like I thought and its geared more towards Systems Admining, Security and Database related points, with some web dev as well. If I decide to go with this degree "plan", I would most certainly do the webdev route. If I hadn't spent the past 2 years building up to this degree, seeing it get taken away 5 months ago and re instated before the fall semester, I wouldn't be in this situation right now. Don't ever take things for granted it will bite you later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Merged related threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1