October-November 2014 Game Design Challenge!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 9911 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2014 - 03:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

October-November 2014 Game Design Challenge!

Post icon  Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

Greetings Dream in Coders, and welcome to my first game development challenge!

Why should I participate in a challenge?

The simple answer is 'because you are a badass game developer!' However, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people reading this instead identify as aspiring game developers. Maybe you've started lots of projects but have never finished anything. Maybe you how to code but you dont quite know how to make a game. Challenges bridge that gap. How? Because the only way to increase your skill is to put in hours upon hours of working on your craft. A good challenge lets you flex not just your development muscles, but your design and time management ones as well - mastering those three skills is key to finishing a FUN game. A completed challenge is something you can put in your portfolio to show future prospective employers. Maybe inspiration will hit while you are working on a challenge, and you eventually expand it into a full game in it's own right. There is no better way to break into the industry than finishing a game.

I'll post a challenge on the 5th of every month. The final submission date for completed challenges is midnight PST on the last day of that month. From the 1st to the 4th of the following month, the community will be able to vote on their favourite submissions. Are you ready? Lets go!

The October 2014 Game Development Challenge

'Race to the End'
Create a game for 2-4 players where each player begins at the start of pathway or track, and the winner is the first player to reach the end. The theme, mechanics and assets are up to you to figure out. The other players can be AI, human or a combination - it's up to you. If you need inspiration, there are many types of games that use this mechanic, from Snakes and Ladders to Mario Kart to Backgammon.

The Rules (every game has them!)

Final submissions MUST be playable. No screenshots or videos.
The challenge will include some specific design goals. You are free to add to the design, but your final submission MUST include the specified items.
You MUST submit your entry to the official submission thread.
Have FUN!

Due: October 31st, midnight PST.
Due: November 30th, midnight PST. (due to ado's injuries)

Have at it, Game devs!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: October-November 2014 Game Design Challenge!

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: October-November 2014 Game Design Challenge!

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

To get things kick started, I'm going to share my design. Please use it if you need a start point :)/>
When you think about the design goal (a 2-4 player game featuring a race along a 'path'), perhaps one of the most obvious choices is a form of digital board game where the path is divided into squares and players take turns to move x amount of spaces along it. This should be pretty straightforward to implement so I am going with that. To make things interesting, we should also come up with a mechanic that allows the players to interact with each other.

I'm using Unity and C# for this challenge.

First of all, we need something to represent the spaces on the board, so I'm going to make a prefab that I can create as needed. For this, I'm just using a quad with a script and a texture attached. I also give the quad an empty child object and add a 3D TextMesh. The TextMesh needs to be on a separate object because it needs it's own renderer.
Posted Image

For now the tile script has a reference to the object that holds the TextMesh component and a property to get and set it's text value. Using this we can display a tilenumber on the square.
public class Tile : MonoBehaviour {

public GameObject tileNumberObject;

public string tileNumber {  // used to uniquely identify tile on the board
		get { return tileNumberObject.GetComponent<TextMesh>().text; }
		set { tileNumberObject.GetComponent<TextMesh>().text = value;}
	}
}

Now that we have a tile we need a way to make a track out of them for the players follow. To do this I am going to make a 'Track' game object that for now will create a straight track. It has the following script attached.

public class Track : MonoBehaviour {

//This will generate a straight track made up of tilePrefabs.

public int numberOfSpaces; //total number of spaces on the track
	public GameObject tilePrefab; //the gameobject to spawn
	public Vector3 trackStartPosition; //point in 3D space to start the track

public bool _______________; //I use this bool as a way of sepating values in the inspector.  Variables that appear above this bool NEED to be set in the inspector before running the game.

public List<GameObject> tiles;

public Vector3 trackEndPosition{ //It might be useful later to know where in 3D space the track ends
		get { return tiles [tiles.Count - 1].transform.position;}
	}

void Start(){
		MakeTrack ();
		}

void MakeTrack(){
		tiles = new List<GameObject> ();

for (int i = 0; i < numberOfSpaces; i++) {
			GameObject go = Instantiate(tilePrefab) as GameObject; //spawn a tile
			Vector3 pos = new Vector3(trackStartPosition.x + i, trackStartPosition.y, trackStartPosition.z); //calculate correct position on the x plane for the tile.  You could change the plane here if you wanted your track to go in a different direction
			go.transform.position = pos; //set the tiles position
			go.transform.parent = transform; //Set the tile to be a child of this one in the hierarchy.  
			go.GetComponent<Tile>().tileNumber = (i + 1).ToString();  //set the number to display on the tile.  We +1 so that the display starts from 1 and increases from there
			tiles.Add(go); 
				}
		}
}

This produces a track with a length of 10 (set in the inspector). It would be easy at this point to add some variety, a track that bends or changes directions, perhaps even one that follows a randomly generated path. I'll post updates as I progress on this design, but for now, I think this is a great springboard for those looking for inspiration to get started.

Posted Image

Try it out online here. I added a text box to allow you make tracks of different length.

This post has been edited by AdoTheLimey: 04 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

sure, im working on a game. if i finish it i will post
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

Does the game have to be written in C#? Or can it be in any language as long as it is a game and meets the needs of the challenge?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostLightme, on 05 October 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Does the game have to be written in C#? Or can it be in any language as long as it is a game and meets the needs of the challenge?

Yes, any language or tool as long as it meets the challenge goals and rules. C#, C++, Basic, even Klik n Play if you want :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's halfway through the first week! Does anyone have anything they want to share? :) Remember that the goal here is to exercise your brain by completing a challenge, not produce a full on game.

If you interested in participating but are unsure where to start, come up with a simple prototype that meets all the challenge goals. Get those core functions in place and then add on extra fluff if you are so inclined.

This is what I have come up with so far. It's barely fun but it does meet the challenge goals. I will be adding 'fluff' to this as the month goes on to make it a little more fun. I want to have special events happen when certain numbers are rolled. I'll share my work as well for anyone who is interested.

Thanks and good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

still working on good car physics, no fun without drifting atleast. then i need to work on models.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Awesome! I cant wait to see what you come up with :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostAdoTheLimey, on 11 October 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Awesome! I cant wait to see what you come up with :)/>

yah me to, trying to learn jmonkeyengien as i go dunno what will happen.

trying to fix center of gravity since the car flips with the smallest turn
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

As long as you are learning something new, its got to be good, right?

Im looking forward to the submissions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Im aware of the broken links to my hosting - i'm working with them to find out whats happened.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

I'm going to participate in this challenge, even though I haven't really programmed in the last year (due to my work), and seeings as there is only twoish weeks left, it should push me past the finish line barely.

I will be using the Unreal Engine 4 and C++ for this challenge, and I hope I make it to submissions.

Great to see challenges are up again, It's been a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

I unfortunately won't make the deadline, I've been busy over the weekend, and haven't had time to do much. All I have at the moment, is a terrain, some concrete barriers outlining a few meters of track and a rigged vehicle that I have to get working in game. So after that, I will continue to make the Ai part of it then setup a track system. I will post what I have when I can
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

same, got bored makeing models. im no designer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:59 AM

I do find modeling a bit tedious, only due to the fact that I am more a programmer than a designer, although general design of game vehicles should be more easy going to me, because I am a vehicle smash repairer, so I know a lot about the body of vehicles.

It doesn't help that the challenge creator has not replied in some time.

I am still going to participate, I just wont be able to make the challenge end date. Once you get things rolling, it's forward until the next roadblock.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +