10 Replies - 1755 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

#1 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Please review my personal software website

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hello, I am learning coding at school and I thought it would be nice if I made a website to share the software I make. I've read a few html,css,php tutorials and whipped together a website :)
Here it is: https://cryptogeek.ninja/

Note: I excuse myself for the ssl alert. I am still waiting for Cloudflare to issue me a certificate.

Also feel free to test the software :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please review my personal software website

#2 astonecipher   User is offline

  • Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

Reputation: 2938
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,414
  • Joined: 03-December 12

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

View Postdl00pdl00p, on 05 October 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Note: I excuse myself for the ssl alert. I am still waiting for Cloudflare to issue me a certificate.


Do you plan on selling the software? Is there a particular reason you are getting an SSL for a portfolio site? I will leave the comments about the design alone as it is not my area of specialization.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 05 October 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

View Postdl00pdl00p, on 05 October 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Note: I excuse myself for the ssl alert. I am still waiting for Cloudflare to issue me a certificate.


Do you plan on selling the software? Is there a particular reason you are getting an SSL for a portfolio site? I will leave the comments about the design alone as it is not my area of specialization.

I currently don't plan to sell these software. I prefer to use ssl for these reasons:
-to make mitm injection of malware inside my software more difficult
-it would seem google prefer sites with ssl enabled
-ssl sites inspire more trust to users
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

Maybe I will add some premium features and sell the premium version or just switch to only pay version I haven't really thought about it. But it will be in a long time, first I need to get some free users :) but sure if one day I can make a bit of money why not ? My first though was just to have popular free software to impress a maybe future employer.

ps: sorry for double post. I haven't found a way to edit my post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Lemur   User is offline

  • Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon


Reputation: 1453
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,633
  • Joined: 28-November 09

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:25 PM

Host your software on Github, and if I were you I would use a premade blog. People waste too much time making a custom blog and end up getting nothing done.

Design wise it looks like something made by a Middle Schooler learning Web Design that found out you can use box shadows for a matrix glow.

The point of shadows and other CSS3 elements like it are to add subtle accents to areas, not obscure their items. The shadow you have on links makes them near unreadable.

If you have to say there's no malware or etc, it looks bad on you.

If you want to see what quality it takes to get a paid side out, look into RubyTapas, Egghead.io, and RailsCasts. It takes years of experience to pull that off.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostLemur, on 07 October 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Host your software on Github, and if I were you I would use a premade blog. People waste too much time making a custom blog and end up getting nothing done.

I think github has too many menus/links all around the page and sometimes it is difficult to download the software you want. It's a website for developpers not users. I can make it simpler with a website I control.

View PostLemur, on 07 October 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Design wise it looks like something made by a Middle Schooler learning Web Design that found out you can use box shadows for a matrix glow. The point of shadows and other CSS3 elements like it are to add subtle accents to areas, not obscure their items. The shadow you have on links makes them near unreadable.

Yep that pretty much sums up the story :P I removed it because it seems some people have problem reading it.

View PostLemur, on 07 October 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

If you have to say there's no malware or etc, it looks bad on you.

mmm true most software I trust don't mention it so when you mention it it could raise suspicion...

thanks for the review :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Lemur   User is offline

  • Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon


Reputation: 1453
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,633
  • Joined: 28-November 09

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have doubts that many routine users will download your programs. The people who would care are going to expect Github.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostLemur, on 08 October 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I have doubts that many routine users will download your programs. The people who would care are going to expect Github.

mmm true if I make my software open source I will probably join github. but right now since it's only a single executable I don't really see the point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Lemur   User is offline

  • Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon


Reputation: 1453
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,633
  • Joined: 28-November 09

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Every recruiter that's worth their salt and every employer that you want to work for will want examples of your code before you even get an interview. Github happens to be the medium by which most everyone judges as of now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostLemur, on 09 October 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Every recruiter that's worth their salt and every employer that you want to work for will want examples of your code before you even get an interview. Github happens to be the medium by which most everyone judges as of now.

mmm ok. I'm still debating wether to go open source or not. If I stay closed source and make a premium version it will probably not bring in a significant income. It might be a better idea to go open source to show exemples of codes....ok I'm going open source and github tomorrow :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 dl00pdl00p   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-October 14

Re: Please review my personal software website

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostLemur, on 08 October 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I have doubts that many routine users will download your programs. The people who would care are going to expect Github.

Added to github :) https://github.com/c...DataHealthCheck
Not sure If I did it right though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1