7 Replies - 760 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hey everyone! Newbie here.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

Heya! My name's Stoyan, just registered, nice to meet you all!

Here's a bit of background about me:

I'm a designer by trade. I've been freelance designing for the past 7-8(?) years or so. I also do lots of online advertising and marketing, primarily as an affiliate.

Overall, the coding world seems extremely distant to me. I've always shunned away from all sorts of code, and I've outsourced everything that needed coding throughout the years ( and I continue to do so ).

I know some silly HTML & CSS, a bit of jQuery too, and I have coded my own designs in the past. Also, a long time ago ( in a galaxy far, far away ) I actually managed to get the hang of Action Script, but those days are now long gone, and so is all my knowledge of Action script.

I have also played around a little tiny bit with Pascal, Java and C, while I was studying at the university some years ago. Currently a dropout, left it right before I was to get my bachelors degree, and this was the best decision of my life.

Not long ago ( a few weeks back ), something struck me and I figured it was time to learn how to code. I figured it might be another useful skill to have, and who knows, maybe I'll even get fond of coding at some point.

I picked Python as a starting point. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I find the syntax to be much simpler ( for me, at least ) and easier to understand compared to C++ or Java, for example.

So far I'm going through Codeacademy's tutorials on Python and overall it feels very interesting - currently finishing the functions tutorial, and so far so good. The only thing that I found to be mind-bendingly confusing, for some reason, were those damn booleans.

I'm spending about 1-2-3 hours every night trying to learn Python instead of reading 'A Dance With Dragons' ( any Game of Thrones fans here? ).

That's about it. I hope I can learn a lot here, and hopefully some day even be able to help ( with coding ) too!

Cheers,
Stoyan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Hey everyone! Newbie here.

• They're watching you, Neo!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hey everyone! Newbie here.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hello, sneakypeeky, and WELCOME to Dream-in-Code!

If you have chosen to walk on this path of becoming a programmer, and you will endure it until you will climb the leather of newbies, I can assure you, you will never regret it. That feel of getting some program to work the way it is supposed to, and knowing that YOU alone made it, will give you a feel of joy, power, control. You will enter the world of those so-called Gods of computers: the programmers! There's nothing so warm to that feel when you switch from being a computer-consumer to a computer-commander. That's what I feel, anyway :)

About your choice of using Python. Hm, well, Python *IS* easy to learn, but on the same side, its rather old and lacks the power and features of the more modern languages. I'm not saying to you to start programming by learning C++, that would be rather painful. But, instead, i would recommend you VB.NET or C#, instead. They are very much alike, aside from the syntax. VB.NET is a bit easier than C#, because it is very much similar to the common English language. C# on the other side looks a lot like C++ and Java, but it is a lot easier. That would be a plus if you will want to learn those two languages in the feature, after you master C#.

I give myself as an example: i first started to learn programming in Vb.NET and i knew almost nothing about programming at the time. In three months i was already finishing my first program! Full of bugs and with codes that would make me laugh now, but, still, functional. That was my starting point and it was really easy. :)

If you dont understand Booleans, send me a private message. I will be glad to explain them to you, tomorrow (its rather late right now in my country).

Again, welcome among us, and... happy coding, mate! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hey rusoaica! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Wow, I never imagined programming in such a way! This is definitely food for thought.

As for your recommendations, I'll be sure to checkout both VB.NET and C#! I'm not looking to become a full-time programmer ( but who knows, maybe one day? ), but to rather be, at least, competent enough to be able to write a simple ( or not-so-simple ) program or script, if I get an idea, in order to aid me with my work.

For example, I have a lot of marketer/web master friends, who write simple scripts in Python for example, that do wonders. Let's say a script for scraping some google search results and saving them up in a file, or a program to post articles or upload videos, or ads on various sites automatically etc. that sorta stuff, not very complicated, but very useful.

I'll definitely hit you up with a PM tomorrow regarding booleans - I ( sort of ) got the point, but it's still quite a bit blurry!

Cheers and thanks again for the warm welcome!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

You are most welcome! :)/>

I remember when I came here myself, two and a half years ago, i was very pleasantly surprised that people welcomed me so warmly. I'm just returning the favor, for it is a warm feeling for the one that gives it, not only for the one that receives :)/>

About programming: well, i don't want to put words into your moth, but i don't think that once started, you will be able to limit yourself to just 'basic' stuff. I mean, programming is like booleans: true or false. You were either born for it or not. And once started, its quite addicting. When you will finish your first program that really works, you will be so happy and so proud of yourself that you will want MORE, always more! Its like adrenaline :)/>

Here is your first reputation point on this website, given by me to you for the simple reason of desiring to learn something new! You have all my respect for that. Good job and way to go! ;)/>

This post has been edited by rusoaica: 06 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the reputation point, I appreciate it!

As for programming, I see what you mean here, about it being either true or false. I'm still very much a complete and total newbie, but let me tell you, I'll be the happiest person in the world if I manage to create my first working program in the next few months, with whichever programming language I pick and stick with. I hope I can get addicted to this stuff, as I mentioned I find it very interesting so far, and I love challenges! Every single day I strive to learn a new thing, be it about design, marketing or (now) coding.

You also have my respect for the warm welcome once again!

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

Out of my free available time, i will try to guide you as much as i can through the 'maze' of programming that a newbie see in front of him. I will add you as a friend here and anytime you have a question, do not hesitate to write to me. I will try to help you as much as i can. If you chose one of the languages that i also know, that is (i'm afraid i have never used Python, so i don't know its syntax or behavior).

I'm going to sleep now. Talk to you tomorrow :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

Interesting to see python being called "old", particularly in comparison to to the .NET languages. Be that as it may, it's probably a good idea to stick with one language until you have a sense of how program flow works - my usual suggestion is that you learn one language well enough to finish a standard data structures and algorithms course, or to complete a medium-sized project (ie, something beyond the standard homework exercises and problem sets, preferably something that you yourself find useful)

When you know one language well, then it's worth learning a second one, but usually not before. The second one should probably be something quite unlike the first - I used to suggest some flavor of Lisp, but you might also consider Scala or Clojure (functional programming on the jvm) or Ruby (a solid language, with a lot more to offer than just the Rails framework)

Whatever you end up doing, there's a few solid python heads around, so you should be able to get good help with your questions in that language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

View Postrusoaica, on 06 October 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Out of my free available time, i will try to guide you as much as i can through the 'maze' of programming that a newbie see in front of him. I will add you as a friend here and anytime you have a question, do not hesitate to write to me. I will try to help you as much as i can. If you chose one of the languages that i also know, that is (i'm afraid i have never used Python, so i don't know its syntax or behavior).

I'm going to sleep now. Talk to you tomorrow :)/>

Thanks! I'll be asking questions, no matter which language I pick, that's for sure!

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 06 October 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

Interesting to see python being called "old", particularly in comparison to to the .NET languages. Be that as it may, it's probably a good idea to stick with one language until you have a sense of how program flow works - my usual suggestion is that you learn one language well enough to finish a standard data structures and algorithms course, or to complete a medium-sized project (ie, something beyond the standard homework exercises and problem sets, preferably something that you yourself find useful)

When you know one language well, then it's worth learning a second one, but usually not before. The second one should probably be something quite unlike the first - I used to suggest some flavor of Lisp, but you might also consider Scala or Clojure (functional programming on the jvm) or Ruby (a solid language, with a lot more to offer than just the Rails framework)

Whatever you end up doing, there's a few solid python heads around, so you should be able to get good help with your questions in that language.

Cheers Jon! This was my plan initially, and I've decided to stick with python, because I'm now at least used to looking at the code ( I'm not sure if that even makes sense ). I hope to be able to, at some point, create something useful for myself as you said. Glad to hear there are python people around here, I'll probably be asking questions.

See you around!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1