5 Replies - 647 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language to rebuild my Flash website in?

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hello all! As you can see, I am extremely fresh meat, and I'd like to build a flashy (no pun intended) portfolio site for my illustrations. Aside from cluelessly copying and pasting Actionscript tutorials into a Frankenstein's monster of a website, I have no experience with coding!

Two whole years ago I managed to almost-but-not-quite make my dream website in Flash. Almost, meaning that I ran into some kinks that I couldn't figure out, because I never properly learned the language to begin with. Then I realized that I probably shouldn't have been using Flash anyway, for several reasons (one of them being the ability to link to individual images, and another being that it's not iPad-friendly). So, I'd like to pretty much replicate my Flash website into another language--parallax scrolling, transparency, button rollovers, customizable tessellated hexagonal buttons and everything...

Said half-baked website: http://www.swfcabin....open/1363974125

I originally did this in Flash because I'm accustomed to working very visually, drawing shapes manually, etc., instead of typing them. I see now that that may not have been the best decision, however. And I haven't even really considered optimizing the site across platforms or what to host it on, etc....

Which language would be most suitable for remaking this website with? I'm hoping to dive right into learning the basics once I know where I should be headed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language to rebuild my Flash website in?

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language to rebuild my Flash website in?

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

Javascript, though that's going to be far far more than trivial. jQuery for most of the animations. Be sure to read Javascript: The Good Parts and The Javascript Ninja.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks a lot for your advice! I will look into that pronto.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

I have tried to plow through a couple 101 tutorials, and came out with way more questions than answers. My mind is swimming.

To begin with, it seems that this will also involve a good deal of HTML and CSS, as well as Javascript and JQuery. Is this correct?

It looks like I have a long, long road ahead of me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

Get the base up with HTML and CSS. Then decide what interactivity you want to add to it. Your head will be swimming for a while, but you can be more productive after you figure out what you want to accomplish. Then, break that into individual steps you need to take.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

Yes, I'll be taking on HTML first, it seems.

What also helps is that I'd previously saved a copy of a (now taken down) website that uses the same exact kind of parallax motion I'm looking for. I'm working on playing around with it and figuring out its parts...

(The site is from a German web design company called Siebennull. Their current homepage has been completely overhauled into a new interface now.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1