6 Replies - 807 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Sanctimoniously Self-Made

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:37 PM

http://baweaver.com/...usly-self-made/

Recent post from the blog on self-made people in the industry and paying it forward. To put this article as succinctly as possible: Invest in the future, or by the time you get there it won’t be worth anything.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sanctimoniously Self-Made

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sanctimoniously Self-Made

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

To put this article as succinctly as possible: Invest in the future, or by the time you get there it won’t be worth anything.

Is there a point for discussion other than plugging your blog link and this soundbite?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

Moreover discussion on this. It seems like a lot of the industry is bent on hiring senior, and consequentially fail to invest in people starting in the industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Sure take a green horn when you can, but I am not sure about slotting them against experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:10 AM

Problem being, how does one get said experience? It's a nasty catch-22 until you hit ~2-3 years experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:54 AM

Everyone starts in the metaphorical mail room. Only kids who fall for college propaganda believe they're going to get right out of school and into a senior position: it simply doesn't happen in the real world.

When you work crap for a while, a competent boss will give you more responsibly. Eventually, as long as you're willing to work, experience is gained.

Are IT jobs always posted for those with experience? Yep, usually. Can someone with zero experience have a chance to impress the hell out of an interviewer? Yes, it does happen. Is the job market fair? No, sorry.

My first job was as an administrative assistant in a consulting firm. I eventually got sent to clients. If I'd only been looking for my IT dream job, I'd probably still be looking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Senior position, no. I'm just more disturbed by the lack of willingness to take on more junior level people and train them up a bit.

I have no illusions about how I got where I am today. It was because people were willing to lend a hand to the newbie, to teach and to guide. I'd be overly romanticizing it if I neglect to mention how much research and studying I had to do to get there as well. The thing is, it has to come from both sides to really cultivate a healthy job market.

I was studying everything I could get my hands on when I was still in Missouri and by no means was considered average skill. Getting out here without connections felt like an exercise in futility more times than not. Most of that was due to not having the magical 3+ years of experience they wanted, despite my ability to match that skillset handily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1