4 Replies - 735 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2014 - 05:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Game Development Right For Me?

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi!

I'm a senior in high school and will soon be studying computer science in college (assuming all goes well). For the last year or so I've been teaching myself different programming languages such as Java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, while dabbling in languages like C++, C#, Objective-C, and Ruby. The point is, I'm comfortable with many different languages but not a master of any.

As I'm sure is true of most people, video games were a good starting point to get me interested in programming, yet I don't possess the skill to create one. However, as I delve deeper into the world of computer science I've been looking to try all kinds of areas of development. First I did a lot of front-end/web development, now I'm interested in trying out game development. Unfortunately, this is no easy task.

So, to my question, (I apologize for rambling on, I just figure the more specific I am about my situation the more accurate an answer I'll receive) how do I get into game development? What's the learning process? It was easy to find tons of tutorials online for front-end development(such as www.codecademy.com or www.teamtreehouse.com) but there is significantly less direction in game development, or even back-end development. What do you recommend? Alternatively to teaching my self the idea has come up that I could just wait until college and hope I learn what I'm looking for there, is that the best option?

Thank you for taking the time to read about my dilemma! Any and all responses are appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is Game Development Right For Me?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Game Development Right For Me?

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

, now I'm interested in trying out game development. Unfortunately, this is no easy task.

Yes.. that is an accurate statement. Game dev is difficult.

how do I get into game development?

In what sense? As a hobby, or get a job?

What's the learning process?

With most programming - grab a book. There are plenty of "how to make a game". Then grab an engine. I am partial to Unity, but there are things like unreal, source, etc.

Alternatively to teaching my self the idea has come up that I could just wait until college and hope I learn what I'm looking for there, is that the best option?

I don't know. Have you looked at what would be the course requirements of what ever college you are looking at?

Is Game Development Right For Me?

Ultimately that is up to you. I have zero idea of who you are, background, skills, future, etc. You are the master of your destiny and you are the one to determine if you want to make a game or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm interested mainly in game dev as a hobby. So far I've just recently downloaded Unity and gone through the first project of making a roll a ball mini game, so I suppose next I should look into 3D modeling, animation, etc. and just diving in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Perhaps stop, pull out some paper, and sketch out what game you want to make. Let the design direct what to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Although I am not a known member like modi I do have something to suggest that I think could be helpful. Think about what sort of games you like whether it is an FPS, turn based strategy, or top down RPG. Youtube some tutorials that deal with that genre. I know turn based strategy may be hard to find tutorials for but there are probably plenty of FPS tuts and I know there are some decent starting RPG tuts as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1