8 Replies - 1567 Views - Last Post: 23 October 2014 - 04:04 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to learn C#, what is the best way?

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hello!

As the title says, I want to begin to learn C#. I'm 17 years old and I think now is a great chance for me to learn code and potentially earn a decent amount of money.

Does anyone know where the best place is to start to learn C# [For absolute beginners]. I'm in no real rush to learn it, I've actually set myself about 5-8 years to learn it.

I know a bit of HTML and a scratch of Javascript.

I love the way that codeavengers.com is set and how they make it fun, so is there anything like that for C#? If not, please tell me the correct path to learning and give me timezones to learn them by :)

Thanks guys,

Miranot

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to learn C#, what is the best way?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to learn C#, what is the best way?

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

I am always a large fan of structured learning. Hit up your online book seller of choice, find a more recent (and highly reviewed) book for the price you like, get it, and get jamming!

I've actually set myself about 5-8 years to learn it.

That seems fairly excessive.

Also the pinned thread is pretty snazzy. There's a C# learning series there.
http://www.dreaminco...ated-2013-6-27/
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I've actually set myself about 5-8 years to learn it.

That seems fairly excessive.

Yeah, the reason behind this is because I may need a few years experience in the actual workplace to then go onto contracting. 8 is too much, but I'm giving myself a good 2 years to learn and maybe another 2/3 years in the workplace :bigsmile:

THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT BOYS

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 October 2014 - 08:36 AM
Reason for edit:: fixed botched code tags. FYI - you can use 'reply' anot not just the 'quote reply'.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

'SAMS Teach Yourself X In 24 Days' is a good series of books for absolute beginners. It won't get you anywhere near professional standard, but they're good for getting to grips with the very basics before you move on to a more advanced book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Making stuff and making mistakes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm with Adam on this one. A book is an amazing resource but you won't really get it down until you try.

Being extremely fresh myself, I'm quite pleased with my progress.

Think of a project to build, and have a cause. For example, if you need a file encryption tool then work on that. Consider what options you will want and how you want it to look. From there I usually look into what functions I'll be using and then spend a good few hours researching the proper ways to use these functions and why. As you go you'll think of new ideas and ways to improve your program, and you'll learn new things.

You will most definitely run into roadblocks but there are many resources out there and many helpful people. There will also be a point where you can easily and quickly figure out your own mistakes. If you hadn't noticed I've already made quite a few post but I've made a ton of ground by understanding my mistakes.

I honestly believe that if you put time into it you will be able to become resourceful enough to write just about anything within a month. It's expected to need to do online research.

This post has been edited by vpdic: 21 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

And I have to second vpdic's self-observations. Over the time he's been present on the board, the flavor and quality of his questions have matured. This is exactly what I would expect to see from somebody who is applying themselves to learning and at the same time exploring beyond what they've learned.

Keep on learning!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi Miranot, I'm fairly new myself! Just started my education about programming so here's what I did to learn the basics:

First of all I've looked various tutorials up on the internet (as this is a programming forum, this website will be of good use to)
I created just nonsense in the beginning as you can't really get into the more advanced stuff, from the 'Hello World' app to checking Computer properties, making a web browser..
Just some basic stuff to get the hangs of it.

As I'm a fresh scholar myself, I can send you my documents if you like, covering the basics up to the advanced c# coding. I don't really got a book to learn from, my documents and information get uploaded online using the platform 'Moodle' thats why I can send you all the information you would need to get a good start! ^.^

Best of luck regarding your education, you'll understand c# pretty quick!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

Don't under-estimate the power and usefulness of console application for experimenting and learning, as I reduces the language down to its purist form (no graphical UI )
Aso try experimenting by set your mini challenge. For example I challenged myself to implement FizzBuzz using the sequence operaters (LINQ) See:Blog Post

As it forces you think differently about the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1