3 Replies - 621 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science Internships; Skills Required? (Associates Degree)

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

So I'm currently in community college for Computer Science and I'm only a semester or two away from my degree. However, a 40-hour internship is required before I graduate. I sort of understand the career scope for Computer Science majors, but I don't see myself possessing any of the skills required for any jobs like that just yet. I don't know a damn thing about coding (took two semesters of Visual Basic, one semester of C++, and one SQL course), nor do I understand anything past the fundamentals of networking, systems analysis, etc. So I'm pretty much useless as of right now. There's not much information about what businesses are looking for in my college's students, but some of the stuff I'm reading about general internships talks about looking for people who are fluent in CSS, Javascript, PHP, SQL, etc. I interview like a champ, and my resume is formatted nicely. So I guess that's a plus.

Anyway. Have any of you guys been in my position before? And if so, what did your internships require for skills?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science Internships; Skills Required? (Associates Degree)

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science Internships; Skills Required? (Associates Degree)

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Internships in general are learning experiences, and employers know this. It sounds like yours might be a lot more hands-on training than making significant contributions to projects. The reason I say this is that you might consider unpaid internships to fulfill the requirements and gain experience.

Aside from the coding aspect, there are help desk and networking type internships as well. A data analytics internship might be a good, semi-technical gig as well. Though the availabilities are going to depend largely on your area. You should start searching for internship job descriptions in your general area.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

I sure as hell hope they don't ask for the world from me. What would be some better positions to look into? My application lets me choose a preferred position (i.e. programming, networking, help desk, etc.), so which one of these would be the most efficient with my current resume? Not asking for the "easiest route", but something that isn't going to make me look like a dumbass.

I've been a computer repair tech for 2 years, but that's not good enough apparently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

I sure as hell hope they don't ask for the world from me.

They won't, but expect them to challenge you and have expectations.

What would be some better positions to look into? My application lets me choose a preferred position (i.e. programming, networking, help desk, etc.), so which one of these would be the most efficient with my current resume?

If you've done computer repair type work for two years, help desk is probably your best bet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1