6 Replies - 918 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Q] Entry level programming jobs/internships (no degree)?

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hello everyone!

I am currently a second year college student working towards my BS degree in computer science. My degree is not progressing at the speed I need however, and I would very much like to get a job or internship as soon as possible for the added experience. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction in regards to searching for such a position? All of the programming positions I have been able to find so far require a degree or a number of years experience programming. I am currently teaching myself C++ and Java outside of my classes so that I can be ready for a job, but my lack of a degree or any real experience is dragging me down.

Any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Q] Entry level programming jobs/internships (no degree)?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Q] Entry level programming jobs/internships (no degree)?

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Have you talked to your college counselor? They typically have job boards or are approached by folk who want less than normal experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'd start with your CS department's advisers, as well as career services. Then hit the career fairs at your school and hunt for internships that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, just learning a language recently makes you not a viable candidate for employment under any programming aspects. You would need a solid foundation to be received as a coder. That doesn't mean that you can't find employment, just that you are not ready for production level work.

Instead of trying to learn two languages at once, pick one and really delve into it. Keep a portfolio on a github or bitbucket site and keep track of your progress. Trying to learn multiple languages, while doable, will only lead to confusion at this early of a stage.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

I am curious of this as well. I am going to get my A+ cert after this semester so I can get an entry level help desk job. I am going to college for Software Engineering so my question is what jobs are entry level for software?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

what jobs are entry level for software?

Internships, junior developer positions, and such.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

I am going to get my A+ cert after this semester so I can get an entry level help desk job. I am going to college for Software Engineering so my question is what jobs are entry level for software?

The first distinction is, these are two separate area's of the IT field. One advantage, if you want to call it that, is you can get your foot in the door with help desk positions. You are more likely to get an entry level position in a help desk field than a developer role.

It is entirely possible to get entry level positions in development, but you have to exceed the minimum. YOU have to apply your knowledge and develop more than just school assignments, more than (sorry but it's true) meaningless programs, show what you can do.

I spoke to a hiring manager that told me that he would hire the first college kid that didn't list school assignments in their portfolio! I spoke to another that said that he preferred to hire NON degree developers, because in his experience (take with salt) college kids tended to do what the instructor wanted and failed to think outside the box when faced with a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1