Which language is for me?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1966 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Which language is for me?

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

i didnt go to college at all, i went to basic school pretty much, i took a small course of web-development some months ago. but it was very basic, nothing too deep, HTML\CSS , some javascript. and some other stuff.
then i went to codeacedemy,and learned a bit with bootstrap too.
but isn't Web-developing a bit to limited compared to other languages though?
Friend told its limited compared to other stuff.
i wish i started coding when i was 16 though. i guess there is still alot of time left to learn.
on the internet you could almost learn anything i feel, atleast most of the stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Code Academy is a great tool for familiarizing yourself with syntax, but it does a poor job of helping you learn to think like a programmer and problem solve. As it stands, programming is really more about problem solving than syntax. So Code Academy really isn't a great first stop.

Not really. Web development has its purpose. Desktop applications have their purposes, as do Mobile Apps. Each is its own platform and each are employable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

View Postcrouchgod, on 07 November 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Hell no. Web app development just seems to keep climbing if you ask me. Everyone wants their app to be on the desktop, laptop, tablet and smart phone. Visual Studio 2014 has taken great pains to work in that direction so you can have a single code base for the app to work in Windows Desktop and Windows Phone.

Every job I've applied for this month stresses the need and experience for Web app/Web API development. Even 'local' applications like point of sale systems in a grocery store are web apps now, just being served from a local server. But it keeps the app off the desktop PC, so you no longer have to update 20 workstations, and you don't worry that the local clerk can futz with the settings or permissions. There is a lot of reason that managers want to go that direction when possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

thanks for the replies and the usefull information!

i'm probably gonna stick to a normal job until next year,which i will hate for some time.. and learn in the meantime. as you guys said that it will take atleast 1.5 years to be industrie-ready?

though, the only thing i have is a certificate. so no real diploma. but i guess i dont really need one, if i can do the job right. but it will be harder to find a job in the ICT sector.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +