3 Replies - 522 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

SQL Already installed, can I legally build my app to use it?

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi there,

On my PC, there is a program which uses Microsoft SQL already. I am wondering if I can build an application in VB.NET and use that MSSQL service which is already installed. Further, I have a buddy who has the same setup, can I sell the app I build to him, seeing that he also has MSSQL installed? The only thing I know is that it uses MSSQL 2008.

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SQL Already installed, can I legally build my app to use it?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SQL Already installed, can I legally build my app to use it?

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

Well first of all, if you have Microsoft SQL already installed, then yeah you can build VB.NET apps to use it. When SQL Server is started on your machine, .NET apps can see it (because SQL Server is a service in the background... so make sure that service is started through the services section in control panel. Usually under Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Services section).

The second answer is also yes, but keep in mind that while he may have SQL Server setup as well, he might have it set with a different "instance" name and of course with a different username and password. Your app has to know the instance name, username and password so that it can connect to the SQL server service and get access to its tables. Typically you have the user open up some kind of connection configuration window where they can browse for the instance and then enter an account username and password. Your app would then store that info away and use it to create a connection.

If you think about SQL Server as a service that people have to login to and that you can have several instances on the same machine, it helps you wrap your mind around what needs to happen in the app. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 10 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 10 November 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Well first of all, if you have Microsoft SQL already installed, then yeah you can build VB.NET apps to use it. When SQL Server is started on your machine, .NET apps can see it (because SQL Server is a service in the background... so make sure that service is started through the services section in control panel. Usually under Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Services section).

The second answer is also yes, but keep in mind that while he may have SQL Server setup as well, he might have it set with a different "instance" name and of course with a different username and password. Your app has to know the instance name, username and password so that it can connect to the SQL server service and get access to its tables. Typically you have the user open up some kind of connection configuration window where they can browse for the instance and then enter an account username and password. Your app would then store that info away and use it to create a connection.

If you think about SQL Server as a service that people have to login to and that you can have several instances on the same machine, it helps you wrap your mind around what needs to happen in the app. :)/>

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply!
My question was more about the legal use of the service. I ask because I see Microsoft selling SQL server and all, so I wasn't sure if I can use the already installed versions and sell an application I make with.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

Your application can use SQL Server, but you can't include the full retail version of SQL Server with your application. There are other versions of SQL Server that you can package with your application.

https://social.msdn....m=sqlgetstarted
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1