2 Replies - 1378 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What's a Entry Level Position in the Computer Science field?

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

I apologize for my ignorance, but I have gotten confused many times with I.T. and people that work with programming in terms of being in the same field. I realized and learned this because at the age of 32, I decided it's time for me to go back to school. I registered to go back to school the other day and I want to get a degree in computer science and currently learning Javascript. I actually really love it and don't know why I haven't gotten into it before (due to the fact that it's in my blood).

Now my problem is that a lot of my working experience doesn't show anything related to computer science and at the age of 32, I find myself feeling a little insecure because if I remain working where I am and graduate with my current industry... I won't have the proper experience to along with my degree.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any advice on the matter and if you could point me in the direction of a entry level position that will look good on my resume to get a career in the computer science field.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's a Entry Level Position in the Computer Science field?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's a Entry Level Position in the Computer Science field?

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

What industry are you currently in? Every industry uses programmers and IT personnel. Do you work for a company that has an IT department? If you have been with the company, you actually have an advantage over positions that outsiders don't. That is a company history, and performance track record.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's a Entry Level Position in the Computer Science field?

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

It is also relative to what you currently are doing and what facet of the IT world you want in at. Networking versus programming versus system administration versus info assurance versus testing versus etc.. they are all different to a large degree.

You are 32 years old so you should have some experience of determining how past experience can be spun and formatted into a helpful boost for another job, right? I mean you haven't been in one job all the time and not progressed/moved at all, have you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1