12 Replies - 1729 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

IT Career Advice

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hi, I am currently working on a degree in IT and I am trying to narrow down what exactly I want to focus on for my career. I recently started looking into web design/development and I think that this is a career that I would really enjoy. However, during my research I have read so many mixed reviews about the job satisfaction, pay, availability etc. One article I read says that this is one of the best, most sought after and laid back tech fields available. The next tells me that everybody and their dog is making websites so it's hard to get jobs and the clients are the most stressful thing I will ever encounter. I also can't get a read on what the pay range is. I would love to hear some opinions from those of you with experience in this or relating fields. Do you think I should pursue web design/development or would my time be better spent focusing on becoming a network engineer or something like that? I know this is a pretty broad question and I appreciate your help!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: IT Career Advice

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IT Career Advice

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Funny, that. Different people with different expectations, different life paths, different goals, different desires, dreams, plans, and capabilities all seem to come up with different ways to think about job satisfaction and different conclusions about the overall level of satisfaction in this one area of the tech sector.

It's a real puzzler, isn't it?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

I also can't get a read on what the pay range is.

salary.com is a nice place for that.

Do you think I should pursue web design/development or would my time be better spent focusing on becoming a network engineer or something like that?

Neither. I think your time would be better spent helping the less fortunate be it in homeless shelters, meal delivery, or counseling. That may not, initially, jive with your life plan, but I am just swinging for the fences on what you may like or how I think your life should be led. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

Neither. I think your time would be better spent helping the less fortunate be it in homeless shelters, meal delivery, or counseling. That may not, initially, jive with your life plan, but I am just swinging for the fences on what you may like or how I think your life should be led. ;)/>

How is this helpful to my situation at all? Don't you have anything better to do than add nonsense to a good forum?
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

You asked what folks think you should pursue.. I told you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

Forums see these kinds of questions all the time. It always boils down to, we don't know you, we don't know where your interests lay. We can say you should be an electrical engineer, doesn't mean you will enjoy it. A lot of variables come in to play on any job matter. You might be happier being a truck driver and not actually want to do anything with computers when you are exposed to real IT work. I can tell you it is far different than what you are exposed to in a college environment.

What company, what do you enjoy doing, what do you not enjoy doing, what is/ are your role/s at the specific company? Some clients are a pain, others are great. Whether you actually deal with them will depend heavily on your role and the company. I work in a smaller office and have the most experience in development, so I have to deal with the clients so I can get what I need from them.

Other companies have you doing strictly job a, and it is someone elses/ another departments job to do b. In other companies you may be doing a and b, but not c. It is all subjective.

Get you IT degree and test the waters. If you enjoy developing there are several area's that you can move to if you don't like another. AND several companies want you to have *A* degree, not necessarily caring what it specifically is. But. if you would rather deal with networks or hardware developing is the wrong area to focus on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess I kind of worded my questions wrong. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what I should or shouldn't do for a career. I'm looking for people who work in these areas and can give me "real world" incite into their jobs. When I buy something of great importance I usually look at reviews from people who have first hand experience instead of just buying at random. I'm feeling out the general consensus on different tech careers that I am interested in. I agree that I should finish my IT degree either way. I'm just deciding where to really focus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Look sport, you are talking about a career and not a used car. You can get pretty precise information on a used car, but gauging how your future is going to roll out leaves up a ton of things to chance. What you can do is eyeball job boards in your area, or near major market. There will probably be plenty in either area. What you need to do is figure out which one will interest you for the longer period of time.

Both jobs have their ups and downs, and even those are not consistent due to people DOING their job differently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Though web development is just a portion of the IT field there are so many sub-items of web development. There is design & css layout, server side coding (php, mysql, asp), user interaction/dynamics (jquery/ajax).

So when you ask about salary, you really need to be more specific.

Also this topic has not much to do with school & therefore I will move the corner cubicle where it's asked many times over & over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

Also this topic has not much to do with school & therefore I will move the corner cubicle where it's asked many times over & over.

It has absolutely everything to do with school but whatever. It's cool I'll figure it out myself since everyone seems uptight about helping out. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

View Postjpc89, on 12 December 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Hi, I am currently working on a degree in IT and I am trying to narrow down what exactly I want to focus on for my career. I recently started looking into web design/development and I think that this is a career that I would really enjoy. However, during my research I have read so many mixed reviews about the job satisfaction, pay, availability etc. One article I read says that this is one of the best, most sought after and laid back tech fields available. The next tells me that everybody and their dog is making websites so it's hard to get jobs and the clients are the most stressful thing I will ever encounter. I also can't get a read on what the pay range is. I would love to hear some opinions from those of you with experience in this or relating fields. Do you think I should pursue web design/development or would my time be better spent focusing on becoming a network engineer or something like that? I know this is a pretty broad question and I appreciate your help!

Your fist point is that your are in school. All other highlighted items are work/job related. Just because you are in school does not mean this is a school topic. You are clearly asking for carrier advice. Feel free to private message me if you have any further questions, & we can discuss it off the forum.

If you want this discussion to be about your school, it would help to know where you are going, what curriculum you are taking, & what other items they offer, those kinds of questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

I think you should acquire a broad set of skills if programming is what you are after. I got my job based on my C# skills and I barely even touch C# I mainly program using Javascript. We use C# for the backend but most of the backend framework is already built so there is not much that needs to be done in that regard. We build applications for hospitals over intranet. Technically I am considered a web developer. I love my job the pay is good, but I didn't expect much since I do not have a degree. You may hate building web sites/web apps or you may love it but hate the pay. You want a higher paying job learn Ruby on Rails. Not much job opportunity but it pays well, and you might not enjoy it. It's hard to say what aspect of the IT field you will actually like. Are you trying to make a choice based on pay or enjoyment. We can't know what you enjoy doing. We can tell you the best paying jobs and our experiences in those fields but so can google (at least in regards to salary). I'm unfamiliar with other fields but you could always intern in varying fields and see what you enjoy best.

This post has been edited by kiasta: 02 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

You are misinterpreting, blunt for uptight. You're lost and unsure. I can't give you an answer. I love programming and every position has its ups and downs, but I would not be as happy working on networks or hardware as I am on software. I reviewed my options and thought long and hard about what I wanted and where I wanted to end up. You need to do the same, we aren't fortune tellers that can tell you anything. Your life, your choice, you have to live with results.

If you think we are being mean or uptight or whatever, do yourself a favor and avoid IT in general. It is not a field that is known for hand holding and it is not a field that pulls punches because you are sensitive. So, if us NOT being mean upsets you, (at least me) being mean will make you cry. Having said that, you make your pick and stop wishing for the right answer to come to you.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 02 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1