2 Replies - 258 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Greetings from apple world!

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hello. If I recall I've been here before when I was taking programming classes as part of a game development curriculum and I needed lots of help with my programming assignments. I kept falling behind and kept struggling with the course material. The book didn't help. The tutor didn't help. The instructor might as well have been speaking Japanese.

I'm no longer in college but I picked up one of my old books (Joyce Farrel's "Programming and Logic Design", comprehensive 5th edition) and started studying. I'm going over everything all over again and getting a footing on all of the core programming concepts. I keep thinking of the 2D side-scroller I did for the final in Programming II and I want to be able to do stuff like that again. I want to be a game programmer. That's what's moving me forward.

I'm amazed with all of the things that I can do as it is. I was able to do one of the exercises at the end of Chapter 4 where I had to plan the logic for a lottery game program. This program generates three random numbers and the player has to input three guess numbers. The number of points the player gets depends on how many matches the player gets and there's a huge jackpot if all three numbers match up in the right order. Initially I spent hours laying on my bed just staring at the problem but all I needed was to figure out one of the variables and from there I hopped on the computer, opened up a wordPad document, and planned away. Sure enough I had the program fully operational in C++ by the end of the night.

I'm also questioning my capacity to understand problems. While I have the ability to know core programming concepts and solve problems with said knowledge, I also have a huge amount of difficulty comprehending things to begin with. When I'm reading exercises at the end of the chapter, I'm absolutely clueless about what it's asking. Take for instance Exercise 3a from Chapter 6, arrays "The city of Cary is holding a special census. The census takers collect one record for each resident. Each record contains a resident's age, gender, martial status, and voting district. The voting district field contains a number from 1 through 22. Design a program that accepts data for each resident until all have been entered and then produces a list of all 22 districts and the number of the residents in each."

What did he say?
They're selling chocolates!
Oh.

I'd fear if I had to interact with a team of programmers who spoke all kinds of technical jargon. Hey, I'm not stupid. I just have a hard time comprehending stuff. A very hard time. Anyway, I'll more than likely be hanging around as I find myself confused with things such as the difference between the postfix and prefix increment/decrement operators. Also, Oldboy (2003) is an awesome movie.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Greetings from apple world!

#2 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Greetings from apple world!

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:24 AM

Welcome to DIC! Don't worry too much about the terminology - you'll pick it up as you need it to refer to things. The more important thing is to have a sense of design and flow, and it sounds like you've got some of that, so you're in good shape.

If you really feel like you're having trouble with jargon, try this: get a notebook, and write down every term that throws you. When you get a free moment, pick one of those terms - the one you're most curious about - and do some research. You'll probably come across a few other terms you don't know - add them to the list. Don't look them up now - then you're just diving down the rathole, and you'll come up empty at the end of it. When you think you have a good idea of what the term means, cross if off the list. Before you know it, you'll be finding that you've absorbed a lot of concepts to go with all that jargon, and that's the important part.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Greetings from apple world!

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

I've seen a few people on here who've made some very basic mistakes such as not initializing string names in quotations, or some really unstructured code. My guess is that there are quite a few people who were interested in programming and learned off of various internet sources, getting a very confused and haphazard education. I'm lucky to be studying from a book. All of the information is very organized and you get to learn the right things in the right order :D/>

This is unrelated but I was working on one of the assignments for arrays and I got ambitious. Rather than just populate the array and print out each element, I started planning input and output that would allow the user to actively manipulate the array - adding and deleting elements, reassigning the values of elements, and reassigning the values of a parallel array full of flags. The program uses flags to determine which element to print out. If '1', the element prints.

string insertArrayNameHere[6] = {element0, element1, element2, element3, element4, element5} 
int parallelFlagArray[6] = {0, 1, 0, 0, 1}

//loop that populates the array
//loop that prints array elements

OUTPUT

element1
element5

I'm having fun with this :D/>

This post has been edited by Darkspyda04: 26 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1