5 Replies - 952 Views - Last Post: 31 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What next...[The fears of a could be developer]

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

Hi all,

I have been coding sites on and off for around 10 years now, and always wanted to turn it into a full time career. The problem is I have no qualifications to speak of within web design. I have a part time job working in retail, and it is just making me want something more.

Recently I found the site developajob.com and they recommend using the following to prep for a course http://certifyguide.com/exam/1d0-61b/

Then moving onto the exam itself here http://certifyguide.com/exam/1d0-61b/

My question is, is it worth looking at these seriously? How far will they get me when looking at employment opportunities? Can I move into freelance work? Are they recognized by employers?

I really appreciate any feedback from you guys, or any alternatives you could suggest.

Happy New Year all!

Dean

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What next...[The fears of a could be developer]

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What next...[The fears of a could be developer]

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

The sites that you are coding now, are they pay sites? 10 years is a long time & should be a growth of technologies & skill sets.

I wouldn't recommend paying for a certification from a website that no one has heard of. That is how the verification will be viewed.

Also, examples will show much more than any certification. I would suggest working on a good portfolio. At the end of the day, selling yourself to an employer is the same as selling yourself to a client in my opinion.

Lastly, your question isn't about school, it's about work & therefor should be moved to the corner cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I wasnt sure if I was posting in the right section, so first let me say thanks for clarifying, I will move the topic.

Secondly, I havent really kept up with how far HTML/CSS has come, so my knowledge is very rusty, and Ive only recently looked into using Javascript and JQuery within sites. I had a very long break from the scene due to work etc and am now looking to come back.

I can appreciate your comments on the qualification I posted, are there alternatives? Would I get further with them or is it really not a necessity if I have a decent quality portfolio?

Regards

Dean
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostDeanHollstrom, on 31 December 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

I can appreciate your comments on the qualification I posted, are there alternatives? Would I get further with them or is it really not a necessity if I have a decent quality portfolio?

I would not even mess with certifications. Your going to invest the & money into a resource that someone maybe will see as a value. I would instead invest my time learning current, valuable technologies, such as those you have listed, & showcase with real world examples.

In the interview, you are going to have to show that you are a better asset for the company, better than the other candidates. I would rather do this with real world examples of current languages than a reference from somewhere likely no one has heard of.

Other than a college degree, you are not going to be able to buy a good resource, & nothing shows you are qualified better than real world examples.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

no2's advice is sound. Almost any employer or client will want a portfolio, I work for a company that has a reputation and big name clients and we still send portfolios to perspective clients.

Certifications aren't a requirement and are almost always completely worthless, depending on the governing body that puts it out. The exception to that, would be certifications done through Microsoft, Oracle, Zend, and orginizations like that. But, those certifications come at a high cost as well.

Get up to speed one current technologies and show what you have done, thus can do and you will get much further than flushing your money for some worthless cert.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 31 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

A portfolio was the only reason I was able to get my foot in the door. They just want to know you know what you are doing and are not wasting their time and money. I have no degree and no previous experience, but I got the job regardless. He explained to me what my job responsibilities were and told me that it will be a part of my job to grow with the company and to learn new things as they arise. For instance, the company just started using knockout on their projects recently and I've never used it or heard of it until I started working here. One of my earlier tasks was to build a plugin for one of their web apps using knockout and very little jQuery (if at all). Mostly to see if I had the potential to learn new things. This happened a lot during the probationary period.

I had no idea what to expect or what kinds of things they would ask me to do. They started off small to see where I was at and what projects they could trust me to work on, etc.

Just giving my first couple of months insight into a professional programming environment. You will get to the point that google is no longer useful for solving problems and you will have to rely on your team and other people in the company for certain help as the problems you face are unique and not anything you can find outside of your team. The database team will be your friends. As far as the first step, build a solid portfolio and be prepared to code in front of people. You will be judged by your code and it will be harsh. You will get shit for not commenting your code, make sure to do that frequently.

Well, good luck to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1