1 Replies - 474 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science Questions

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Next semester I will start taking my first 2 CS courses, which are: Discrete Structures I and CS101 Fundamentals of Computer Science I. I want to know what to expect in these 2 classes. What will I learn? What should I know before taking these classes? Should I review something now? Also, since I don't have programming experience, I want to know if there are tutorials in this forum or websites where I can learn programming from scratch and what language should I learn first. The reason why I am asking is because I want to have good grades at the end of the semester. So, instead of playing video games or watching TV I want to spend my free time wisely. And I have one more question. Is not that important right now but I want to know at what point should I apply for an internship?
thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science Questions

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science Questions

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like you're a freshman! Kudos for trying to get a jumpstart.

CS101 Fundamentals of Computer Science I.

This could be Intro to Programming or it could be a BS class. It all depends on the syllabus. If it's a programming class, I might pick up the course text and start slogging through it.

Discrete Structures can be taught in a large number of ways. Generally, it includes some logic, set theory, number theory, graph theory, and combinatorics. I might be inclined to start looking at the integers modulo n, the Euclidean algorithm, and some basic set theory. It will give you some basic idea of what is going on, and that is good. I assume you only have a week or two left until classes start. So this is probably a good amount to cover.

Is not that important right now but I want to know at what point should I apply for an internship?

Probably after your Data Structures II and Operating Systems courses, unless you feel you can work on industry-grade projects earlier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1