8 Replies - 2872 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

• </code.in.dream>
  • member icon

• View blog

Career advice: stay in android development or move towards C# job?

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

Hi DICs,

Some of you guys might remember seeing me around C/C++ section, I have been away for a while due to some reasons. I graduated the previous year and joined a company as an android application development intern and worked there for several months during which I developed some apps. I'm also working on elance.com working on android related jobs. Recently I started my job hunt, currently, I had 5 interviews out of which 4 of them were successful. Of those successful interviews 3 are of android application development and 1 is forex and trading applications development using .NET C#.

All the jobs are for entry level/junior developer. Among the android development, 2 looked good to me, but one has got really tough company rules and environment and the other provides peaceful and relaxed environment. I decided to choose the later. But, I am very much confused as to what to do, choose the later android development company or go for the C# job as forex and trading application development.

The difference is, the C# company is located in the capital of our country and is some sort of more professional and the guys there are more experienced and I think I will have lot more new to learn. While the android company isn't much into android right now because they have terminated there previous development because of not too good android developers and they want to start it again. And of-course with android there won't be much apps to develop, mostly in house products and applications.

But, the android company also offered me that they have these linux based hardware devices (they use it for their online payments system) that are programmed in C. So, the head guy said I will need a hand with these devices as he is the only on programming it now. He said I will train you with these and then you will do it.

I needed an advice of what should I do? Should I jump into C# or stay with android application development...

PS: I am not thinking of long term with neither of the jobs. If I move to the capital for the C# job, there are other big companies to which I can apply easily and walk-in for interviews. Or I should gain some experience with this android company and then look for some good android development job?

Any other advices?

Thank You All!

Regards,

A.K.

This post has been edited by AKMafia001: 11 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career advice: stay in android development or move towards C# job?

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Career advice: stay in android development or move towards C# job?

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

To me anyway you seem to be comparing Apples and some sort of generic fruit.
Android means phone/mobile platform.
But when you say "C#" there is wide range that falls under that: Desktop PC, Web App, Mobile platform.

Maybe you should reframe the question to yourself: Do I want to stay in phone development or do I want to move to something else... Do I want to make desktop applications for Windows... Do I want to make web apps...

Then you have to ask yourself about what industry. Do you want to make desktop games, or investment firm calculators, or medical imaging systems?

Trying to decide on a career based soley on a language choice is silly and unrealstic if only because languages change over time. You don't see me trying to still find jobs doing assembly language programming. Hell, I'm still doing C# but I don't do WinForms any more. The ecosystem changes and you have to change with it.

So what you really need to decide is which industry of programming do you want to be a part of, then find out its requirements.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 11 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </code.in.dream>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:26 AM

Thank you for your response tlhIn`toq...

Yes I forget to mention that in my original post... These days I'm into Java, and I never wanted to let go C++... I always loved to work on complicated and enterprise desktop applications... I never enjoyed developing websites/web apps (which I did for course projects).

Though I enjoy developing mobile applications a lot, and I'm quiet good at it. But I was thinking, mobile applications are also desktop applications, I mean, there is this linux based OS (Android). What I was saying was should I move to C# in a stage like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

As much as I love my Macintosh I've never gone without employment programming for Windows.

And now that Microsoft has been pushing desktop and mobile development closer and close... pretty much at the point where a single code base works across Windows PC, table and phone... I think a smart move would be to aim at that. I know I am just starting to pay more attention to the idea of a single solution that does work across the board. So C# would be my opinion.

Just to get you started:
http://blogs.msdn.co...g-net-core.aspx
http://visualstudiom...2014-ctp-3.aspx
http://www.visualstu...verview-vs.aspx
http://visualstudiom...le-app-dev.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• </code.in.dream>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Yes exactly! I heard that with Microsoft Windows 10 the same code will work across Windows PC, and smart phones.

I'm currently reading a book "C# 5.0 in a nutshell"...

Thank you so much for your advice! I will consider it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

Depends. If you're happy working with c#, 80% of the time you will be working on we related stuff, and if anyone tells you differently, do not believe them. Boring to me. I'd stick with Android and mobile, especially with all the great new stuff coming out like Android TV, Android Auto, and Google Glass. I a willing to bet you will be paid more as an Android developer as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

why cant you do both
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Agreed. We have an iOS guy that does not seem to be remotely interested in learning Android.. and an android guy coming in that doesn't want to do iOS... ah.. what? On a day in and day out basis I am using a handful of languages and platforms. ugh. People. Exxxxpaaaaaaaaaaaand your mind!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </code.in.dream>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Exactly, I'm trying to do both, and learn as many new technologies as I can. But, 1. I need a good job to support myself. 2. I want a job where I will learn and expand my knowledge, and not to get stuck in a loop. 3. I really want to study ahead too, looking forward for Masters and PhD. But that's another story, perhaps long time will pass when I get to that.

Right now, I'm trying to land on a good job, and start my programming learning again...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1