7 Replies - 1633 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you deal with insecurities/nerves

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Background: I went to school for Computer Programmer/Analyst. Graduated ~10 years ago. All of my co-op terms were in the automated testing department of a telecom company. After graduating, I took a job as a manual tester, the the promise of an automation job in the future. After 3 years, this did not surface, so I left and found a new job that was pure automation. I started building tools on the side to help with my automation tasks. I then left that job to my current one, where I am embedded QA on a scrum team (dealing in C# mainly). I have talked to my managers about moving into more of a dev role, and they are fine with that. Which brings me to the main point:

How do you deal with feelings of insecurity when jumping into a role where you are surrounded with people that have been doing the job that you want to do for their entire careers?

This post has been edited by BigR1983: 14 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you deal with insecurities/nerves

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you deal with insecurities/nerves

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

You deal with it like any first day of a new job. I figure if you are right out of college into a job or you are switching roles you will be working with people who have either been doing the career path you want for longer than you, or have been in that position for longer than you. Either way they have valuable experience to tap into and help you get up to speed.

I tend to keep my ears open more than my mouth until I am adjusted enough to assert myself more. I would also advocate putting in double time on problems you see. If you are weak in CRUD writing, but know that is something big for the team, then when you go home spend a few hours researching, writing, and implementing basic CRUD apps. If they are a big web site place then spend some time refreshing yourself on web code and brushing up on what is new.

). I have talked to my managers about moving into more of a dev role, and they are fine with that.

If the company's good they will do a slow transition versus dropping you into the deep end.

At the end of the day - you have some years of experience being an adult, in an adult job. Your experience is relevant and will apply in places.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

Sounds like a question better suited to your therapist, life coach, spirit guide, aura reader, crystal energy interpreter.

I'm not sure how people here are going to be able to tell you how to be less insecure in life or about your self. Seems like an odd question to ask strangers on the internet.

It sounds like you're moving up. Not sure what the problem is. If you place so much weight on these other people being so amazing then consider its those people that want you as part of that team. So see yourself through their eyes.

Maybe if you were more confident in general you'd be less insecure at work. Take up some hobbies that boost your person self-image. Paint ball, rock climbing, target shooting, motorcycle, smash up derby,

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the tips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostBigR1983, on 14 January 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

How do you deal with feelings of insecurity when jumping into a role where you are surrounded with people that have been doing the job that you want to do for their entire careers?

Beware of Imposter Syndrom. Not that that's necessarily what you're feeling, but perhaps it is. Just be aware that you got where you are by your own achievements. It's not a fluke of the system, it's not a mistake. When I started working as a developer I felt like the dumbest member of my team. Everyone else knew what we were doing, but I felt like a fraud. The thing is, that's natural - the people already there have a familiarity with the work that you don't, yet. You'll get there, and quickly. After only 3-4 months I was up to speed and felt like I was a contributing member of my team. Now I have several systems under my 'ownership' and have helped teach interns and dev trainees.

So you've probably heard "fake it til you make it" - there's truth in this. You don't have to fake your knowledge (that never ends well), but act with confidence knowing that you're doing what you perceive to be the best you can given what you know. Learn and adapt and grow. Put on a fašade of confidence and you'll begin to feel more confident. Remind yourself that your position isn't a mistake and that you worked to get there - think of all the time you've put in to getting where you are and look at it as your right.

Other than that, maybe take a public speaking class.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai   User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

First day, you don't know what you're doing. And, chances are, what you do know how to do isn't going to be exactly how it's usually done. You will be expected to be clueless when it comes to what actual "work" is starting out: go with it.

Ask questions. Don't pretend to know stuff you don't. Hell, even if you think you know it, have it explained. Basically, be a know nothing pain in the ass to everyone around you, because you will be anyway and any sane employee kind of expects it. Your one job starting out is to move out of that PITA phase as quickly as possible. The fastest way through is to admit it and move forward.

You'll have time to wow everyone with your leet skillz in the future. For now, shut up and learn. Nerves go away once you know what you're doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

Programming definitely has the Imposter Syndrome quality to it, even after you have been there doing it for a while.... Live with it and move on. You will be stumped on problems, you will figure them out and face a new problem that stumps you.

States of a Programmer:
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 20 January 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

I love this because I'll sit stumped for hours going "I have no idea what I'm doing" and then come up with some solution that I think is elegant and awesome and I'm like "I AM A GOD"

That's so apt it hurts haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1