3 Replies - 906 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please help me :)

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Greetings Everyone,

My name is L.H. and currently attend a CC. I plan to transfer to a university once I am finished with my core requirements. PLEASE HELP ME with my Informational Interview Questions.

According to my professor, we are supposed to fabricate an Informative Interview; were I gather information from the interviewer about the qualifications, skills and/or expectations of the likely candidates for the job. Now the information is dependent on your desired major; which mine is Software Engineering. I have tried to contact firms, businesses and developer websites but unfortunately I live in a small town where I can't seem to find any experienced software engineers. From the little information that I received, I was basically being directed to their job opportunities link/posts in either monster or indeed; which I can do that myself.
Therefore I ask that anyone who has 15 extra minutes that I may please; will you give me a brief or general explanation for the following questions.

1. What educational is necessary for this job?
2. What kids of work experience will prepare a candidate for this field?
3. What kids of job satisfaction does this field offer?
4. What are the future employment prospects of this profession?
5.Are there disadvantages in this profession?
6.What characteristics does a person need to have in order to be successful in this field?

Again I can totally find all of this in the internet, I have notes written down based on the qualifications necessary to fulfill a candidate position. Having done the research before going to school and deciding SE is what I wanted to do; I have plenty of information. Most importantly and the reason why I am here is that I would like to please have someone give their perspective.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please help me :)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please help me :)

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

1. What educational is necessary for this job?

Do you mean 'what education is necessary'? Preferably a software engineering, computer science, or similar degree. Substitute decent certs and work history as needed.

2. What kids of work experience will prepare a candidate for this field?

Do you mean "what kinds of work experience"? Internships are nice. A code portfolio is nice on a github account, etc. If you are applying for an entry level position work experience is less an issue.

3. What kids of job satisfaction does this field offer?

Do you mean "what kinds of job satisfaction"? That depends on the person. Some it is money, others is creating solutions, and others enjoy having folks use their code.

4. What are the future employment prospects of this profession?

That depends on your area and willingness to move, but software is not going away anytime soon.

5.Are there disadvantages in this profession?

It depends on where you are, and company that hires you. Like any job there may be long hours, odd hours, toxic work environments, less than helpful upper management, questionable deadlines, scope creep, etc.

6.What characteristics does a person need to have in order to be successful in this field?

An attention to detail (*cough* kid/kind), curiosity, creativeness, the ability to work well with others, and be fairly self directed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

First bit of assistance, proofread before you post. Nothing looks worse than typos and grammar issues when asking for help.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 02 February 2015 - 02:19 PM
Reason for edit:: Fixed typo. :P

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

I would like to apologize for my bad spelling. There is no excuse for not taking the time to go over punctuation and spelling before posting. I wrote kids twice instead of kind. I also forgot to place the word training in the first question.

1. What educational ** training ** is necessary for this job?
2. What **kind** of work experience will prepare a candidate for this field?
3. What **kind** of job satisfaction does this field offer?

Thank you for your reply. I am very grateful you took the time respond and not turn away after seeing my careless typing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1