3 Replies - 1264 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Need a KVM over IP ... with a twist

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

I was happy to rediscover Mouse Without Borders last week. I could VPN in to work with my work laptop and continue to use my home PC with its good keyboard and mouse. It worked great until Sunday and the the place that I work decided to close the barn doors after the horse has bolted, by forcing a new VPN solution and disabling split tunneling. Now Mouse without Borders on my laptop can't talk to my PC, nor can the laptop talk to my printer, nor my media store, etc while the VPN connection is active.

Interestingly, I can setup TCP streams from the laptop out to my PC if I use IPv6, but not vice versa. So I could flip things around make make the laptop the master, and my PC the slave, and just plug in the keyboard and mouse into the laptop.

The reason I'm posting the question here is to see if anybody knows of another KVM over IP that either knows how to tunnel back out of a VPN, or one that allows the master to run on one machine, but have the keyboard and mouse from the slave drive the master. I figured I would ask before I download the source for Synergy and learn the code base enough to add IPv6 support as well as change the master/slave arrangement.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need a KVM over IP ... with a twist

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need a KVM over IP ... with a twist

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

What if you were on two networks at the same time?
Use the ethernet to VPN to work and the WiFi to connect to your home network, for example.
I do that here using Torguard as my proxy provider when I need to confirm remote connectivity to my home server (via a VPN from the laptop to a server in another state), which is how my clients can pull their copy of the source code they pay me to write.
When the laptop is VPN'd to say 'New York' through the ethernet I can still hit all my local resources through the WiFi connection to my home router.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Good suggestion. It was late, but I could have sworn that the Juniper VPN program changed the route tables so that both interfaces routed through the VPN. I know that I can't change the tables without Juniper detecting the change and disconnecting me. I'll look again later when the kids are asleep.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Alas, Cisco AnyConnect only allows one interface to be live: wired or wireless. I can't turn on both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1