5 Replies - 1496 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Programming Programming Language should a Computer Science Studen

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

During my college I studied C/C++, C#.Net and ASP.Net. Now one my friend suggested me to learn Python & MATLAB also. He wasn't much specific why to learn these languages, He said it would be helpful to get a job with these languages. I've also seen lots of good resume, mostly they have Python (Scripting Language), MATLAB, Perl, Ruby etc. I've to appear for interviews in 3 months, So please guide me what should I do.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Programming Programming Language should a Computer Science Studen

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Programming Programming Language should a Computer Science Studen

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.

What I would do is some legwork to learn about jobs in your area and what technologies they like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

You have an interview scheduled in 3 months? That is one hell of a wait time, in 3 months you could be on another job!

What do you want to do? Figure that out and learn what you need to, adding crap to a resume you never intend to use won't be helpful and will waste you time. Cramming more languages in will overload your head and you won't be able to use anything you have done in that time period.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

I suggest you also learn Java. I didn't that listed on the list of programming languages you mentioned. Java is a must-have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

It's subjective as Mac pointed out. Java is useless for a .Net or Linux web developer. J2EE is different, but is in use. The only must have, is an understanding of SQL. The rest is area dependent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

I am a third year Computer Science student, on my course we had these options, but i think for a interview that fact that you have experience in languages outside the academic word will be a benefit regardless if its relevant to the course. I had experience in a lot of languages before my first year and i was lucky not to have already learned Java as it would of made the first year so boring. I went to uni to learn new stuff.
Don't think your going to waste your time learning a language, it will come in useful down the road most lightly. Because you already have experience with various languages when uni tells you to learn a new one, you will pick it up a lot faster than your peers as i believe learning new languages is a skill in itself. I also cant stress how good it is to know languages that have different purposes.

Year 1:Java or C++
Year 2:Java or C++, LISP, C#
Year 3:NETLOGO, LISP, PHP, C#

Hope this helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1