9 Replies - 1377 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What's the funniest thing to happen at work?

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

So a little back story before I explain. Our marketing director decided that because it's so easy to build a website he wanted to to handle our main website (against the advice of our programming director and all of us programmers). He thought that creating a wordpress site was considered web development and was 'easy'. So needless to say somehow he convinced the CEO that it was a good idea. Well we made a compromise to host it through a web hosting service instead of our actual servers. That was fine until a few months ago, for whatever reason, they decided to move the website to our main servers (oops).

Well our genius of a marketing director never actually bothered to manage the wordpress site and it became outdated and he didn't use any type of security plugins or anything other than the base wordpress. Since it was not our jobs to manage the site we never really had a reason to make sure it was up to date. Needless to say the website was hacked and a single php file was injected somehow with almost 5k lines of code (they wouldn't even tell us how it was done, or maybe they didn't really know). Now they gave me this file to go through and find the password that was being used to connect to the remote server and posting whatever data (there were a lot of posts).

So the genius who injected this put comments all throughout the code and I was literally biting my lip trying not to die laughing. I can't show the file due to non-disclosure agreements but I can tell you what the contents of the comments were. Now mind you they were broken up randomly throughout the code in sequence so someone took a lot of effort to do this (or maybe not). Anyways here is the link to the comments.

(NOT SAFE FOR WORK) Commented content

And that made my day, not the fact that there was almost a HIPAA violation, but man I had a really good laugh.

This post has been edited by xclite: 23 February 2015 - 01:01 PM
Reason for edit:: warning that content is NSFW

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's the funniest thing to happen at work?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's the funniest thing to happen at work?

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

WTF is that link to?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 February 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

WTF is that link to?!

The commented content that was in the php file I was going through. I did a google search of the name and that's what it was. Is it against the rules to link that? I can remove it I guess. I thought it was funny.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

Early on in my first development role I used to put in error codes that the user would have to provide if they called in with a problem:

PEBKAC error code {some code number}
PICNIC error code #####
I.D. 10-T error code #####
TSTO error code ##

And so on. It was funny for us that the users were so unaware of what those error were saying.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

I guess I didn't understand that the text from that "bloodcyber.htm" was interlaced in some spam producing page.

The whole site appeared with red flags of 'adult & shady content a head'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

PICNIC errors are the best. It's getting users to understand it's them however...

On a recent project I was brought on because the previous help had dropped the ball & was not up for the size of the task. Before I could tackle all the errors I just started logging under the devs name "This is so-&-so's fault". The partner that brought me on came across one of theses while tailing the error logs & died laughing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Wow... What are you using for an internet filter/security? I've got AVG and don't see that in Firefox.

To me it just seems like a dorky convo. It doesn't seem like "code comments" to me. I don't really get the connection between this conversation and funny code comments or funny things at work in general. Unless the OP is saying this conversation IS what the hacker uploaded to their site and it was being displayed on their site because their staff were too illiterate to know better.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 February 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Wow... What are you using for an internet filter/security? I've got AVG and don't see that in Firefox.

To me it just seems like a dorky convo. It doesn't seem like "code comments" to me. I don't really get the connection between this conversation and funny code comments or funny things at work in general. Unless the OP is saying this conversation IS what the hacker uploaded to their site and it was being displayed on their site because their staff were too illiterate to know better.

Yes that's what happened there were posts with these comments sorry guess I should have been more specific. And that link is not any part of the injected file I just did a google search of the username bloodninja and that was the first result. Which happened to be what was in the comments.

Well the funny part is we are a technology company and very professional. Our main website is where our clients go to connect to the portal for them to manage the software we provide. Mostly medical software. Anyways that whole conversation was in the main page of the comment section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Bloodninja is one of the classics on bash.org. That's the origin of the "I put on my robe and wizard hat" meme.

http://bash.org/?104383
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

Once, at the previous job, a guy emailed detailed instruction on how to properly use the lavatories. To the whole firm . Does that qualify here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1