Bachelor of software engineering (mathematics and physics)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1837 Views - Last Post: 22 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bachelor of software engineering (mathematics and physics)

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

I graduated from high school several months ago and I found my way to software engineering. After taking a deep breath, I decided to go for bachelor of software engineering. I consulted an educational offices which is specialized in education and they recommended me that I'm not able to go for software engineering bachelor program. I was shocked, the argument was that my math and physics aren't sufficient even if the university accepted me. I studied math in high school except for the last 3 semesters, where I majored in (linguistics and the human sciences).I wasn't bad at math or have bad grades at all or can't understand math, but like I mentioned, they claim that I need prior advanced knowledge of math and physics from high school. Even though I'm going to study abroad, which means the system can differ and it does indeed, how could a university start from an advance level anyhow and it's not linked to the high school in which I studied anyway? Put another way, if that university started from an advance level of math, because they're assuming the students already have prior understanding from high school, what about those who discontinued their education for several years? They forgot most of the story?

I decided to look for the subjects and all the details from the university. I noticed there's no rocket science there. Here's a list of each year and its subjects that the students are going to take:

Bachelor of software engineering:

*First year:

Introduction to Computer,
**Preliminary course to calculus**,
**Algebra and Trigonometry**,
Orientation Program, Basic Chinese Listening,
Basic Chinese Speaking,
Essential English Writing,
Object-Oriented Programming,
Course Project of Object-oriented Programming,
Principle of Management,
Chinese Culture,
Academic English Writing,
Introduction to China.

*Second Year:

Data Structure,
Course Project of Data Structure,
Principle of Computer's Composition,
**Linear Algebra**,
Engineering Economics,
Chinese Reading,
Information Retrieval and Utilization,
Database Principles and Applications,
Computer Networks,
Course Project of Database Principles and Applicant,
Java Language and Programming,
Artificial Intelligence and Its Applications,
Communication in Chinese.

*Third year:

Software Engineering,
Course Project of Software Engineering,
Operating Systems,
Modern Software Development Technology,
Software Engineering Economics,
Supply-chain Management,
Chinese-to-English Translation,
Knowledge Management,
Software Process and Management,
Object-Oriented Method and UML Modeling,
Cross-Culture Management,
Management Information System,
Course Project of Management Information system.

*Fourth year:

Multi-media Technology and Applications,
Software Architecture,
Software Maintenance,
Software Testing,
Information Security Technology,
E-government,
Project Management,
Network Marketing,
Applied Statistics.

Do I need advance mathematics or physics from high school to study bachelor of software engineering?
*Though I forgot most of what I studied in math, but with some refresh to my memory I would be able to thrive to success I guess. :tooth:/>/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bachelor of software engineering (mathematics and physics)

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bachelor of software engineering (mathematics and physics)

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

because they're assuming the students already have prior understanding from high school, what about those who discontinued their education for several years? They forgot most of the story?

Then those folks who are not up to that particular university's department's standards do not get in. Typically placement tests help route folks to a path, but sometimes that isn't the case. The world's not universally fair.

Do I need advance mathematics or physics from high school to study bachelor of software engineering?

Typically you need some sort of higher level math and problem solving classes. That often falls on the math and physics departments.

By the looks of it - Nanjing university?
http://cie.nuaa.edu....tail.asp?ID=190
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 February 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

because they're assuming the students already have prior understanding from high school, what about those who discontinued their education for several years? They forgot most of the story?

Then those folks who are not up to that particular university's department's standards do not get in. Typically placement tests help route folks to a path, but sometimes that isn't the case. The world's not universally fair.

Typically you need some sort of higher level math and problem solving classes. That often falls on the math and physics departments.

By the looks of it - Nanjing university?
http://cie.nuaa.edu....tail.asp?ID=190

Yes, Nanjing university of aeronautics and astronautics, how did you know that? Google or been there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

Just a lucky guess. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 February 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Just a lucky guess. ;)/>

Do you know more information about it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

As in did I go there? No, no I did not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

No software engineers here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

Modi is one. I second Modi's opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

Another software engineer here - at least, it says so on my business card, and I get paid to engineer software.
If the university has entrance standards, you have to meet those standards. The standards might not be good ones - personally I would question the wisdom of rejecting a candidate with respectable math skills and also significant experience in linguistics - but they're the ones the university uses, and it would be unfair for them to make exceptions for you.
It's possible that they'll offer you some path to remedy your deficiencies. "What can I do to be eligible for admission next year?" would be a question I'd hope you'd already have asked. However, like the song says, "there's more pretty girls than one". If this school says no, find the one that says yes. And while you're looking, pick one aspect of your mathematical background that you think is a weakness for you, and work on fixing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 February 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Another software engineer here - at least, it says so on my business card, and I get paid to engineer software.
If the university has entrance standards, you have to meet those standards. The standards might not be good ones - personally I would question the wisdom of rejecting a candidate with respectable math skills and also significant experience in linguistics - but they're the ones the university uses, and it would be unfair for them to make exceptions for you.
It's possible that they'll offer you some path to remedy your deficiencies. "What can I do to be eligible for admission next year?" would be a question I'd hope you'd already have asked. However, like the song says, "there's more pretty girls than one". If this school says no, find the one that says yes. And while you're looking, pick one aspect of your mathematical background that you think is a weakness for you, and work on fixing that.

I wasn't rejected, I didn't apply to them yet. I was only argued by an agent who works in an office that helps process students' papers to study abroad. Obviously, I forgot most of the math which I've taken in high school, but if I studied that again, of course I would be able to go on. The argument was that I came from linguistics and human sciences I don't have sufficient mathematical background to go for SE. The agent either ignored the fact that I studied math(e.g. algebra, trigonometry) in high school except for that last 3 semesters or think I have zero mathematical skills. My grades are average and only in one semester I was weak, near the peak. Technically, I hated the fishy place where I studied math, but I loved math. Even though I took a different direction.

"What can I do to be eligible for admission next year?"

Very intelligent question. I said to myself, if I'm not going to get admitted then I need to work harder to reach self-efficiency. This won't upends life.

However, like the song says, "there's more pretty girls than one". If this school says no, find the one that says yes. And while you're looking, pick one aspect of your mathematical background that you think is a weakness for you, and work on fixing that.

Yes, they're many pretty options and I'll try to do my best. I think linguistics cannot be taken away from SE, after all SE is all about telling a machine to do something and since telling requires linguistics we can't separate them and don't forget the need of making the computer interactive with humans which of course requires linguistics and human sciences more than anything else. But like what the lists says above, there's a preliminary course and that's should be enough to refresh my memory and if there was admission examination in math and if I got weak grades I guess the university will provide a preliminary course before the primary courses or I need to take self-study programs and that's good! What do you think ?

Q: May I know your degree? CS or SE?

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 February 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Modi is one. I second Modi's opinion.

Thanks for your reply :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

View Postpkg.spam, on 21 February 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yes, they're many pretty options and I'll try to do my best. I think linguistics cannot be taken away from SE, after all SE is all about telling a machine to do something and since telling requires linguistics we can't separate them and don't forget the need of making the computer interactive with humans which of course requires linguistics and human sciences more than anything else. But like what the lists says above, there's a preliminary course and that's should be enough to refresh my memory and if there was admission examination in math and if I got weak grades I guess the university will provide a preliminary course before the primary courses or I need to take self-study programs and that's good! What do you think ?

I think you might want to look at automata theory and parsing theory. I have no idea what "human sciences" is, but formal linguistics is at the core of a lot of interesting stuff in computer science - getting rid of the fluffy stuff you've got there and getting down to solid cases will help you a great deal. If you can understand a parse tree for a sentence in a natural language, you can certainly understand an abstract syntax tree for some program in a formal language. If you can understand the very difficult and subtle rules of human languages, you can certainly reason correctly about the relatively simple and straightforward (and unambiguous) rules of formal languages.

Q: May I know your degree? CS or SE?

Linguistics, actually. Though obviously I've done some coursework in CS since then.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Linguistics, actually. Though obviously I've done some coursework in CS since then.

Thank you, you gave me a hope :)/>

I have no idea what "human sciences"

Like psychology sociology, philosophy etc..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

A lot of computational psychology and psychiatry is more numerical analysis and differential equations. Same with sociology. It's hard to work in those fields if you don't have a solid math background.

But like what the lists says above, there's a preliminary course and that's should be enough to refresh my memory and if there was admission examination in math and if I got weak grades I guess the university will provide a preliminary course before the primary courses or I need to take self-study programs and that's good! What do you think ?

Maybe, but you'll be behind the eight-ball already. Folks who have to retake pre-calculus in college tend to have to take more hours to graduate on time. And they're often times in courses a year behind their peers. I mean, it's possible. In CS and many other fields (like economics, for example), you will pay for deficiencies in math until you fix those deficiencies.

By the way- Artificial Intelligence consists of a lot of graph theory, game theory, and statistics. All three fields are mathematical fields.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 February 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

By the way- Artificial Intelligence consists of a lot of graph theory, game theory, and statistics. All three fields are mathematical fields.

Well, only if you mean the stuff that they're teaching under the heading of "Artificial Intelligence" today - which has got nothing to do with AI and really amounts to a sort of "enhanced stupidity". Nobody's doing actual AI today that I know of. But that's another discussion...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

[quote name='macosxnerd101' date='21 February 2015 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1424553428' post='2123525']
A lot of computational psychology and psychiatry is more numerical analysis and differential equations. Same with sociology. It's hard to work in those fields if you don't have a solid math background.[quote]

Absolutely, that's what I've been thinking of. All these fields requires some sort of mathematics and it's unfair to say that I don't have let's say a normal background of math, there's a differentiation between two things:

1) A person who doesn't understand or studied a little bit of advanced math (e.g. algebra, trigonometry), (0 bullshit)
2) Or someone who graduated from linguistics and advising him not take SE

If I was number (1) (0 bullshit) then I wouldn't bother forgetting about SE, but I'm (2). Simply, the recommendation of the agent was too harsh especially now-days, where computer scientists are thriving to copy the human sciences(e.g. psychology) to the computer for better interaction. I'll give it a try and perhaps talking to the professor or the agent again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +