5 Replies - 2018 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Sudden increase in Google Analytics bounce rate

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hi folks. It's been a while since I've posted a "HELP!" topic here, but I'm somewhat stumped with this one. I have a site (http://www.artofwar.cc) that has experienced a recent spike in bounce rate since a major release I made to the site. The major release involved a complete redesign of the site layout, as well as better integration with the third party phpBB forums on the site, AND the inclusion of social media buttons (FB Like, FB Follow, Twitter Tweet, Twitter Follow). My expectations of the release were an increase in hits and bandwidth, due to the new graphic assets people have to cache, but a side effect has been a dramatic increase in bounce rate. See the image below:

Attached Image

You will notice three areas highlighted:
    ORANGE - No bounce rate due to reissue of Google Analytics tracking code, took me a week to get it in the site.
    GREEN - Sudden decline in bounce rate due to change to the .htaccess file to 301 non-www to www.
    RED - Sudden increase in bounce rate after deployment of v1.0.0 of the new codebase.

I have checked my AwStats data, and mapped the PPV/HPV/BPV (Pages/Hits/Bandwidth per visit), and have confirmed increases in HPV and BPV (in line with expectations) and a slight increase in PPV (which indicates users are using the site more, and hence bouncing less). I have also checked the Exit % in Google Analytics, and found it steady at the usual 10-15% for my site. I'm stumped as to why the bounce rate has gone back up. I can confirm that non-www is still 301'ing to www on all pages of the site, so it's not accidental deployment of rolled back .htaccess code.

My suspicion is that it is the inclusion of social media buttons, since they are rendered via a Javascript call to facebook.com and twitter.com respectively, and may be constituting a visit to those sites in the eyes of GA. Has anyone else experienced bounce rate increase after third party JS social media button inclusion? Has anyone got any idea why bounce rate would jump up, despite the PPV and Exit % demonstrating behaviour contrary to increased bouncing?

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 25 February 2015 - 04:05 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sudden increase in Google Analytics bounce rate

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Sudden increase in Google Analytics bounce rate

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

I use Google Analytics too and bounce rates seem to go up and down at random, I personally have no idea why.

Maybe it's just a temporary thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

View Postchris98, on 04 March 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

I use Google Analytics too and bounce rates seem to go up and down at random, I personally have no idea why.

Maybe it's just a temporary thing?

It seems very coincidental that it jumped up the same day that I deployed a new codebase.

As for troubleshooting, I tried commenting out FB and Twitter social media icons, and am now trying removing FB and Twitter icons and Javascript entirely from the code. I haven't seen any difference in bounce rate from the first test, the second test started an hour or two ago, so I haven't got reliable data as yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

I think I've tracked the issue down to the Google Analytics javascript file being called twice during the period where bounce rate was low. I can't be sure, but I know I cleaned up an problem where it was called twice, and have confirmed that other people have observed the same symptoms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:24 AM

check the source of link which has highest number of bounce rate traffic, then use 301 method to redirect traffic from that link, also use a 3rd party tool like gostats to confirm the bounce rate
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Wow, this is a little old of a topic, but if you have not yet solved it, e_i_pi I would check your site map that has been submitted to Google Webmaster Tools. I would also check the referral from those bounces. If not from Google, in the past I've had adult sites link a popular website of mine just to get on my webalizer stat page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1