2 Replies - 1153 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Taking it to the next level

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

So I have been in IT for well over 16 years now. I've done damn near everything short of being a manager. In my last job, I was classified as "Developer 2" and I built interfaces using middleware for a major laboratory. I think I've spend about 5 years doing this kind of development. This job, I should never have quit. I moved to my current position because I was offered the chance to do both things that I love (or thought I loved). I was supposed to be able to mix the System admin side of thing with the interface dev side of thing.

I'll be honest. I don't like my current job. It does involve some development work (which makes my day). But it doesn't make up the majority. I didn't really realize how much I love development until I stopped doing it full time. I thought there would be more challenge, more money and better benefits for my family.

All that being said, the work I have done is all in some form of interface engine scripting. (Corepoint and Mirth)

Sorry for the background but I wanted you to know where I am comming from before I ask about where I go from here. I "feel" like I am a low-mid level coder. I know the basics, but everything I have made is basic.. I made a program that scans directories and created a display of the files in that directory by age... I created something for this job that ganks information from an access97 database and puts it in SQL so I can process it in the engine..

I have a couple of issues... I do not feel like I could go into a software shop and talk about design patterns, I probably wouldn't know what to do if I did get an interview and got called on a lot of stuff that I haven't run into it. I would love to be on the same level as Scott Hanselman, Miguel de Icaza or Chris Humpfrey. I know I have A long way to go but I don't know how to go from Here to Hero. I'm at the point now where I am more frustrated by knowing there is so much out there that I don't know. So much so, that not knowing it is actually hindering my progress.

Damn... Sorry this is so long all. It is a pretty broad scope. The TL;DR version is that I have experience, it is not extensive. I was hoping someone could suggest something to get me to the "next" level because I want another developer job.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Taking it to the next level

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Taking it to the next level

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

You've been on DIC since 2010 - Surely by now you've seen the countless threads of "How do I become a programmer?", "How do I shift careers to development?", "What do I still need to learn to become a coder?" and so on. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but it seems to be 50% of what this area has become:
Attached Image

So I think the first place you could get some good advice without having to wait for replies is right here. Just read back a few threads, rather than ask everyone to repeat the same thing as they already wrote, as they already wrote, as they already wrote, as they already wrote.

Short answer: You know what you liked doing. You know what you don't like doing. Go to Monster.com and look at the requirements for what you like doing, then learn that.

FAQ's 43 to the end are all about "How do I become a programmer?"

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 6: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated February 2015
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Taking it to the next level

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

I am also an interface developer and this caught my eye enough to register. I'll state that this is my second field and i'm somewhat of a newb but a highly paid and in-demand newb. Anyway I am now a developer which is somewhat of my dream job. I started off as a jr developer, and morphed into an analyst type person who did a bit of programming.

I think you need to figure out what you want. interface developers are in high demand. I'm getting linkedin requests every week at least. If you are flexible at all you can get a job. Consider going to elance and looking the jobs there. There are a ton of mirth related projects in elance.

anyway ping me at my user name at yahoo dot com if you want more info.

View PostTharkis, on 18 March 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

So I have been in IT for well over 16 years now. I've done damn near everything short of being a manager. In my last job, I was classified as "Developer 2" and I built interfaces using middleware for a major laboratory. I think I've spend about 5 years doing this kind of development. This job, I should never have quit. I moved to my current position because I was offered the chance to do both things that I love (or thought I loved). I was supposed to be able to mix the System admin side of thing with the interface dev side of thing.

I'll be honest. I don't like my current job. It does involve some development work (which makes my day). But it doesn't make up the majority. I didn't really realize how much I love development until I stopped doing it full time. I thought there would be more challenge, more money and better benefits for my family.

All that being said, the work I have done is all in some form of interface engine scripting. (Corepoint and Mirth)

Sorry for the background but I wanted you to know where I am comming from before I ask about where I go from here. I "feel" like I am a low-mid level coder. I know the basics, but everything I have made is basic.. I made a program that scans directories and created a display of the files in that directory by age... I created something for this job that ganks information from an access97 database and puts it in SQL so I can process it in the engine..

I have a couple of issues... I do not feel like I could go into a software shop and talk about design patterns, I probably wouldn't know what to do if I did get an interview and got called on a lot of stuff that I haven't run into it. I would love to be on the same level as Scott Hanselman, Miguel de Icaza or Chris Humpfrey. I know I have A long way to go but I don't know how to go from Here to Hero. I'm at the point now where I am more frustrated by knowing there is so much out there that I don't know. So much so, that not knowing it is actually hindering my progress.

Damn... Sorry this is so long all. It is a pretty broad scope. The TL;DR version is that I have experience, it is not extensive. I was hoping someone could suggest something to get me to the "next" level because I want another developer job.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1