9 Replies - 511 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

screwing around with Dreamweaver

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Greetings all. So I'm taking a class in Dream weaver and as a bit of a personal project I'm just kind of screwing around and building a website. Nothing directed by the class in any form. Just messing around really. But in the course of working on this particular project I've encountered an oddity. I'll explain.

The project is a time line of events to a story for a game I used to play. I'm using the Jquery accordion function to create a series of expandable sections. Each section header has the month and year. For instance "June 2002". You click on the section header marked "June 2002", the section below it opens up and provides a selection of information about relevant events in that period of time. SImple right? So here's the problem I'm encountering: Each open section is extremely long, which for sections where there are 3 or 4 sections of info but for other sections where it only has one brief paragraph, it leaves a large amount of empty space. I've gone into the style sheet and looked to see if there is a min-height value on any rules, or a bottom margin/padding perhaps. But I'm not seeing anything. Could I get a second pair of eyes on it?

Here is the link to the page itself. City of Heroes: A Legacy of Sin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: screwing around with Dreamweaver

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: screwing around with Dreamweaver

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

<div id="ui-accordion-Accordion1-panel-7" class="ui-accordion-content ui-helper-reset ui-widget-content ui-corner-bottom ui-accordion-content-active" style="display: block; height: 458px;"

The bold is what is causing the issue you describe. You could change that the height from 458px to auto to fix the issue. Your biggest issue, and I am not blaming you for it, is dreamweaver. It allows you to do stuff without actually knowing how, but it bloats your code and when you get into server side stuff, it uses horrendous and old code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

The bold huh? Wish I could say I'm surprised. I'm liking Dream Weaver for the grunt work of assembling the page itself and managing the files for a basic HTML/CSS page. But just from the way the Jquery widget is structured I can see how server side alot of how Dream Weaver works, or rather likes to work, will become problematic. The good news is in this class I don't think we're going to get any closer to server side coding then Jquery.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 21 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

Actually, where are you seeing that style rule?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

The accordion divs. Being as it is dreamweaver, I can't actually tell you if it hardcoded or jQuery added.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

is it in-line or in the header of start.html or in one of the style sheets? I'm not finding that rule anywhere.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 21 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Inline.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

*scratches head*

okay, now I'm confussed. When I use code inspector in FireFox I see the following code for each section of the accordion:

<div id="ui-accordion-Accordion1-panel-0" class="ui-accordion-content ui-helper-reset ui-widget-content ui-corner-bottom ui-accordion-content-active" style="display: block; height: 457.8px;" aria-labelledby="ui-accordion-Accordion1-header-0" role="tabpanel" aria-hidden="false">
    <h2>
        May 23
    </h2>
    <p>
        Thousands of lights appear all over the world. It 
    </p>
</div>

But when I view source, again in firefox, for the same section I see the following:

<div id="Accordion1">
    <h3><a href="#">MAY 2002</a></h3>
    <div class="ui-accordion-content">
    <h2>May 23</h2>
      <p>Thousands of lights appear all over the world. It is determined that they are portals. Star Strider volunteers to be the first to enter one of these mysterious portals and is never seen or heard from again. The start of the first Rikti War.</p>
    </div>

The later is what I see in Dreamweaver and notepad++ when I view code. So... where is the extra formatting coming from?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

I would check the Javascript then. You can add and remove attributes on the fly, which is how your accordion is working.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

arr, that's gonna wait then. I know just enough java scripting to know when I am looking at it. Oh well, like I said this is a personal side project I started partly for fun, partly for experimentation. Thanks for the second eyes, Astonecipher.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 21 March 2015 - 01:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1