2 Replies - 924 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help a student out - Node.js Projects

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

Ok so the story is that im studying Software Development but node.js isnt part of the course. Java, Databases, HTML and PHP would be the main languages used.

The small city i live in has a huge unemployment rate and of course one of the biggest node.js companies in the world just announced they are taking on 100 people just as i graduate. They came to the college and basically said that they know node.js isnt part of the course and they expect graduates to know the other languages i mentioned but not node.js.

I assume they will expect people to at least have a small project in node done so what im looking for is ideas. In 4th year we have to do a final project and i think its would be a wise move to use node.js as much as possible.

What i really need is an idea of what i can do with Node.js. So far i have built what i would say are good Android apps running from PHP webservers. I average about 92% across programming subjects but so far ive head a one track mind and only really learned what i was getting marks for.

These might seem like simple questions but i just want to make sure im heading in the right direction.

My idea was to build a website similar to this http://www.hotukdeals.com/ with a node.js webserver. Along with an android app that also uses the same node.js webserver. Do i have the right understanding of node.js? Can it be used even more?

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Help a student out - Node.js Projects

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help a student out - Node.js Projects

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:25 AM

There's lots of stuff you can make using node.js. Pretty much any server-side development you can do with PHP you can do with node.js. For example, we had built the entire backend of a system for controlling virtual machines with node.js, MySQL and RabbitMQ before the project was shelved. I've built a system that connects to a Windows-based security system and monitors and logs location access, and a system that synchronizes a third-party web service with two internal databases.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help a student out - Node.js Projects

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

Thats good to hear. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1